The launch of a pro-government newspaper in South Africa was postponed on Wednesday after the editor and four senior staff quit hours before the first issue was to go to press.
The New Age promised “more positive” news and to highlight the achievements of the governing African National Congress (ANC). Its owner, the Gupta Group, has close links with South African President Jacob Zuma. The paper was to hit the streets on Wednesday morning, but at 3pm on Tuesday there was a staff mutiny involving the editor, Vuyo Mvoko, his deputy and three other senior staff.
Gary Naidoo, managing editor of the New Age, told Talk Radio 702: “We were ready to go to print. We withheld that publication with respect for those editorial staff that have stayed on ... We did not anticipate this.”
He estimated that the paper, already delayed from the middle of last month, would be published in “maybe a week, two weeks.”
The journalists who walked out said in a statement: “We have taken the decision that it would be neither proper nor professionally acceptable for us to speak publicly about the reasons for our decision.”
There were reports of a disagreement with the owners over the paper’s editorial stance. Mvoko was understood to have felt his authority was being undermined.
The New Age’s owners are Indian businessmen who arrived in South Africa in 1993 and built their fortune from computers. They have a nine-year relationship with Zuma and his family. Atul Gupta is said to be a close friend of Zuma; Gupta’s brother Rajesh and Zuma’s son Duduzane are business partners.
The walkout by staff came on national press freedom day in South Africa, an event marked by protests and debates because of new measures being considered by the ANC.
The party is pushing for the creation of a statutory media appeals tribunal and new laws that would broaden the definition of official secrets, with whistleblowers and journalists who infringe them facing up to 25 years in prison.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The