Tens of thousands protested in cities across France on Saturday against a government law and order crackdown that has targeted the Roma minority, as smaller demonstrations took place in European capitals.
In Paris, leaders of leftist opposition parties marched alongside Roma migrants whose camp had been bulldozed by the authorities. Police said the demonstration gathered 12,000 people; organizers put the figure at 50,000.
Thousands more marched in Marseille, Bordeaux, Toulouse and other cities in rallies joined by human rights groups and trade unions.
Earlier a group of celebrities from the arts world, including actress-singer Jane Birkin, staged a protest in support of undocumented migrants outside the ministry of immigration.
However, French Minister of the Interior Brice Hortefeux dismissed the protests, saying the turnout was a disappointment for the organizers.
“Even though they were organized by about 60 associations, collectives, unions and political parties, today’s so-called ‘defense of human rights’ demonstrations only managed to bring out, in total, across the whole of the territory, a few tens of thousands of people,” he said.
“It is, without any doubt, a disappointment for the organizers,” he added.
Police estimates suggested more than 30,000 had demonstrated across France, while organizers of the rallies put the total at 100,000.
The hardline national security secretary of French President Nicolas Sarkozy’s ruling UMP party, Eric Ciotti, had already slammed the demonstrations as “guilty complicity with those who flout the laws of the republic.”
Sarkozy’s government embarked on a major law and order clampdown in July, which included the highly publicized, and much criticized expulsion of nearly 1,000 Roma to Romania and Bulgaria.
In the southwestern city of Bordeaux, more than 1,000 people took part in a two-hour march calling for an end to “xenophobic” policies.
“It is a right and a duty for us to take part in this demonstration, because if we let them crush us, you wonder where this will lead,” said Antoinou Jimenez, a representative of a group of travelers in the area.
A similar number of people gathered in Toulouse for a demonstration against “state racism.”
About 20 people gathered outside the French embassy in London. Some held placards with a picture of Sarkozy which said: “Behind the smile, the guilt.”
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
EASING RESTRICTIONS: After there were no new locally transmitted cases for three consecutive days, officials have started to relax limitations on freedom of movement China on Friday reported a record rise in imported COVID-19 cases as expatriates returned home from the US and Europe, sparking fears of a second wave of infections just as the country recovers from the initial outbreak. All 41 of the new confirmed cases in China were imported from abroad, the Chinese National Health Commission said yesterday, bringing the total number of such cases to 269. Beijing and Shanghai were the main entry points for the returnees, many of whom are students who were studying abroad, official reports said. They have come back after many campuses in the US and Europe shut
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,