Tue, Jul 20, 2010 - Page 5 News List

World News Quick Take

AGENCIES

The autobahns are renowned for average speeds well in excess of 130kph, but the average dropped to near zero on Sunday as tens of thousands of people sat at a 60km-long table for a cultural celebration titled, appropriately enough, “Still Life.” Cars were strictly forbidden. “Attention on the A40,” a radio traffic report warned. “There is a 60 kilometer closure between Duisburg and Dortmund due to the longest table in the world.” A festival spokesman said an estimated 3 million people turned out amid fine weather, 1 million of them with their bicycles, to celebrate on the highway between Dortmund and Bochum. Tens of thousands sat at the table, which was made up of 20,000 individual tables, spokesman Oliver Haenig, said. The highway, which crosses North Rhine-­Westphalia state, is normally one of Europe’s busiest.

■NIGERIA

Gunmen release journalists

Gunmen in the southeastern oil region released four local journalists and their driver unharmed on Sunday, after nearly a week in captivity. The kidnappers ambushed a convoy of cars carrying the journalists in the southern state of Akwa Ibom on Monday last week as it approached Aba, in neighboring Abia state. “Due to the pressure from various quarters, the kidnappers had to release us this morning,” Wahab Oba, chairman of the Lagos state chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, told reporters shortly after being freed. Oba said no ransom was paid for their release. The gunmen had initially demanded 250 million naira (US$1.7 million).

■IRAN

Tehran to file complaint

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday Tehran would file a complaint to international bodies over the deadly mosque bombing by an insurgent group he said the US supported. The twin suicide bombings of a mosque in the southeast killed 28 people on Thursday last week in an attack claimed by the Jundallah insurgent group as revenge for the execution of its leader by Iranian authorities last month. Ahmadinejad did not specify if the complaint would be specifically against the US, but he did tell state TV that the US supported the bombings.

■UNITED STATES

Eight wounded in shooting

Police say eight people were wounded in a burst of gunfire in downtown Indianapolis during the Indiana Black Expo and two more in separate shootings that followed. Police spokesman Lieutenant Jeff Duhamell said early on Sunday that authorities made no immediate arrests directly tied to the shootings and were seeking those responsible. He said none of the injuries was life-threatening. Police said the victims were males ages 10 to 18.

■UNITED STATES

Holy Land ‘killer’ charged

Police in Connecticut charged a 19-year-old man with raping and killing a 16-year-old girl after the two walked together to a closed and decaying religious attraction. Francisco Cruz, of Waterbury, is charged with murder and sexual assault in the death of his friend Chloe Ottman. Her body was found near Holy Land USA on Saturday. Police say Cruz admitted that he killed Ottman on Thursday evening and led investigators to her body. The 7 hectare former religious attraction is on a hillside overlooking Waterbury. It featured a ­Hollywood-style Holy Land USA sign and replicas of Bethlehem and Jerusalem made from scrap wood, chicken wire, sheet-metal and other materials. It closed years ago, though its 15m cross is still illuminated at night.

This story has been viewed 2211 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top