Indian Premier League (IPL) organizers have vowed that security will be “watertight” for the remainder of the tournament after two bomb blasts at a Bangalore cricket stadium left 14 people injured and panicked fans before a match.
“We are talking to police and government officials about security arrangements,” IPL commissioner Lalit Modi told reporters yesterday. “We are feeling quite confident.”
The crudely made bombs went off outside Chinnaswamy Stadium on Saturday, an hour before an IPL match between Bangalore Royal Challengers and Mumbai Indians. Mumbai eventually won the match, which was played to a packed stadium and an hour behind schedule.
Modi said two extra layers of security would be added outside the already heavily guarded venues for the few remaining regular season matches and the semifinals and final.
“It will be a little inconvenient for the spectators, but we’re leaving no stone unturned,” Modi said. “Security will be watertight.”
According to initial investigations, the explosives used in the blasts were locally made and of low intensity, said M.R. Poojar, a senior local police official. He also said that of the 14 injured, only three remained in hospital yesterday morning.
Poojar said it was too early to say who was responsible for the blasts. The sound of the blasts, which occurred as thousands of spectators were entering the stadium, sent nervous crowds running in panic.
Bangalore is set to host some of next year’s cricket World Cup matches. The International Cricket Council said it was too early to comment on the attack.
Yesterday two sets of IPL regular season matches were scheduled — one in New Delhi between the Delhi Daredevils and the Deccan Chargers and another in the north Indian hill town of Dharmsala between Kings XI Punjab and the Chennai Super Kings. Sports venues in India have faced tight security amid fears that Islamist radical groups may target them.
Up to 80 foreign players from across the world are contracted to the eight IPL teams.
The second edition of the IPL was moved abroad to South Africa last year because of concern that the security forces would be too stretched by a clash of dates between the federal elections and the lucrative Twenty20 cricket tournament.
In late 2008, the first edition of the Twenty20 Champions League — featuring the leading provincial teams from five countries — was canceled in the wake of terror attacks in Mumbai which left 164 dead.
Neighboring Pakistan, which sees near-daily bombings from militants, has been off limits to foreign cricket teams since gunmen attacked the Sri Lanka team’s bus in Lahore last year, killing six police officers and the van’s driver.
The Pakistan Cricket Board was forced to organize its home series in the United Arab Emirates and will play Australia later this year in England.
Cricket Australia said yesterday that it was closely monitoring the security situation in India, but it was too early to discuss ramifications for next year’s World Cup, while New Zealand Cricket still plans to tour India in November despite the recent attack.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable