Sat, Apr 03, 2010 - Page 5 News List

World News Quick Take

AGENCIES

■SOUTH KOREA

Compensation for murderer

The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered the government to compensate a convicted murderer for refusing him permission to correspond with the media. It upheld a lower court ruling that Shin Chang-won should receive 1 million won (US$888) in damages after prison authorities blocked his written interviews with the media. The highest court rejected an appeal by prison authorities against the lower court ruling, a court spokesman said, as the law allows inmates to correspond with people outside the prison. Shin, 43, broke out of jail in 1997 while serving a life sentence for murder and robbery. He evaded a nationwide police hunt for two years before being caught in 1999.

■SINGAPORE

Tom Jones cancels shows

Welsh crooner Tom Jones was forced on Thursday to cancel shows in Singapore and South Korea after doctors said he risked “serious permanent damage” to his legendary vocal chords if he performed. The aging sex symbol was due to perform at Singapore’s Resorts World Sentosa casino resort on Thursday evening, and in Seoul today. The 69-year-old star has been laid up in Singapore for a week after abruptly cutting short a previous show scheduled for Friday last week because of acute laryngitis.

■JAPAN

Arrest over headless body

Police arrested a 60-year-old man yesterday after the headless naked body of a woman was discovered stuffed into a suitcase and dumped at the bottom of a cliff. Seiichi Iinuma, who said he was unemployed, was being held on suspicion of abandoning the body, police in the central prefecture of Ishikawa said. He reportedly told police the woman was a foreigner aged in her 30s whom he had met about a year ago through a magazine advertisement. The man said he packed her body into the suitcase and threw it off a cliff in Kanazawa city last October. It was found late last month by a construction worker.

■SOUTH KOREA

Cyber-parents on trial

A couple went on trial yesterday accused of leaving their baby daughter to starve to death while they raised a “virtual” child on the Internet. The pair appeared in court at Suweon, south of Seoul, charged with negligent homicide, an official in the city’s prosecutors’ office said. The man, aged 41, and his wife, aged 25, who were arrested last month, had been on the run since their three-month-old baby was found dead on Sept. 24. A post mortem examination showed she suffered a long period of malnutrition. The couple “raised” an online girl character while leaving their own prematurely born daughter at home, feeding her just once a day between 12-hour stretches at an Internet cafe, media reports have quoted investigators as saying.

■INDIA

Killer commits suicide

A beach bar waiter in the resort state of Goa jailed for life last week for the brutal murder of a retired British woman has committed suicide in prison, police said. Anand Kambli, 30, was convicted of killing Denise Higgins in a frenzied attack at a rented bungalow in Margao, south Goa, in April 2007. The 52-year-old former civil servant, from Oxfordshire in England, was discovered with multiple stab wounds lying in a pool of blood with her throat cut. Kambli was found hanging from the roof of a prison toilet in Goa’s Aguada jail on Thursday morning where he had been sharing a cell with 23 other inmates.

■MEXICO

Man sought in girl’s death

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top