US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told troops in southern Afghanistan yesterday to brace for a tough fight as generals readied plans to battle the Taliban in Kandahar.
Gates was on the second day of a visit to review a surge of US and NATO troops set to bring the number of foreign forces in Afghanistan to 150,000 by the summer in a last-ditch effort to end a war now into a ninth year.
He visited an US Army battalion that suffered heavy losses last year in the fight against entrenched militants and based 48km north of Kandahar, a bastion of the Taliban’s insurgency.
PHOTO: REUTERS
“Here in the environs of Kandahar, you’re in an area that once again is going to be important,” Gates told troops from the Fifth Stryker Brigade Combat Team, who have succeeded in pushing back the Taliban in one area.
“Once again you will be the tip of the spear,” he said.
His comments were the latest indication of US-led preparations to take on the Taliban’s spiritual heartland.
On Monday, Gates called a major operation under way in the Marjah area of Helmand Province “only one of many battles still to come in a much longer campaign focused on protecting the people of Afghanistan.”
The overall ground commander, US General Stanley McChrystal, said US and NATO troops could take on the Taliban in Kandahar as early as this summer when enough reinforcements are on the ground.
Gates paid tribute to heavy losses suffered by the battalion at the outpost last year, with at least 21 killed and 62 wounded in action.
“You’ve had a very tough tour here,” Gates told the troops. “You came came into an area that was totally controlled by the Taliban, you fought for a critical battle space and bled for it.”
General David Rodriguez, deputy commander of the NATO-led force in Afghanistan, told reporters traveling with Gates that the battalion would now focus on securing roads around Kandahar.
Gates told reporters earlier he wanted to hear “ground truths” from soldiers in the field about the war, their equipment and the effect of stepped-up efforts to counter deadly homemade bombs — the Taliban’s weapon of choice.
The Pentagon has speeded up the production of mine-resistant armored vehicles specially designed for Afghan’s rugged terrain to try to better protect soldiers from the improvised explosives.
Gates awarded the prestigious Silver Star to two army helicopter pilots, including one whose Chinook survived a hit by a rocket-propelled grenade as it was evacuating five wounded soldiers.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of