Italy’s top court yesterday was set to begin reviewing a law shielding Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi from prosecution, potentially posing deeper troubles for the scandal-hit leader.
Criminal cases involving the billionaire media mogul could become active if the court’s 15 judges decide the law pushed through shortly after Berlusconi returned to power last year is unconstitutional.
They include one in which he is suspected of having paid 600,000 euros (US$875,000) to his former tax lawyer, David Mills of Britain, in return for false testimony in two trials in the 1990s.
While Berlusconi, 73, has been dogged by a string of scandals involving his private life, some analysts say a Constitutional Court decision that strips his immunity could cause the worst damage.
“The risk is that the shadow of a conviction weighs far heavier than his sexual escapades, which have mostly made his voters laugh,” said Marco Tarchi, a political science professor in Florence.
The law the court will examine was adopted in July last year, six weeks after Berlusconi returned for a third term as prime minister.
It grants immunity to the holders of Italy’s four top political jobs — prime minister, president and the speakers of the two houses of parliament — while they are in office.
Opposition politicians have harshly criticized the law.
Berlusconi has been besieged by scandals, notably over his attendance at the 18th birthday party of an aspiring model that led his wife to seek a divorce.
However, the flamboyant leader holds a comfortable majority in parliament thanks to his alliance with the anti-immigration Northern League party.
Berlusconi is alleged to have bribed Mills, a consultant on offshore tax havens, to provide false evidence at two earlier trials in the late 1990s.
Mills was sentenced in February to four-and-a-half years in jail.
Berlusconi has denied paying a bribe and repeatedly accused magistrates, notably in his native Milan, of conducting a politically motivated campaign against him.
Mills and Berlusconi, along with a dozen other defendants, have also been accused of tax fraud in the purchase of film rights in the US by Mediaset, the television group owned by the Berlusconi family.
Mills was tried separately in the case since Berlusconi is shielded from prosecution.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses