The first of the Jakarta hotel bombings’ seven victims was buried yesterday, just days after he again became a father.
The wife of 38-year-old Evert Mocodompis could not attend his funeral because she gave birth to their second child the day before he was killed, local media reported.
He died while working in the restaurant of the JW Marriott hotel on Friday. Family and friends sang hymns and tossed flowers on his grave.
Police continued to piece together bomb fragments, body parts and other clues gathered from the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton, which was bombed within minutes of Friday’s first blast.
Police have said explosive material recovered at the hotels is “identical” to that used by the Southeast Asian terrorist network Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) in earlier attacks.
An unexploded bomb left in a room of the Marriott resembled devices used in attacks on Bali in 2002 that killed 202 people and one found in a recent raid against the network on an Islamic boarding school in Central Java, national police spokesman told a news conference on Sunday.
The culprits in Friday’s attacks that killed seven and wounded 50 are believed to have belonged to JI “because there are similarities in the bombs used,” Major General Nanan Sukarna said.
The decapitated bodies of the two alleged suicide bombers were also recovered at the scenes, police said.
Anti-terrorism police were hunting for Noordin Mohammad Top, a fugitive Malaysian who heads a particularly violent offshoot of the network and has been linked to four major strikes in Indonesia since 2002.
The twin suicide bombings came four years after the last serious terrorist attack in Indonesia and unleashed a new wave of anxiety in the world’s largest Muslim-majority country.
After years of sectarian violence and annual terrorist strikes, the nation of 235 million had been enjoying a period of stability. Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono was re-elected to a second term earlier this month, partly on the strength of government efforts to fight terrorism.
“I am shocked by these bombings,” Razif Harahap, a 45-year-old graduate student, said in Jakarta on Sunday. “The same people who carried out these attacks could launch another one, because the mastermind is still at large.”
Investigators are trying to identify the two bombers, one of whom is believed to be Indonesian. Knowing who they are could help determine if they had links to Noordin.
The Antara news agency said on Sunday that the government was intensifying efforts to find Noordin and trace the network’s finances.
Officials have identified the bodies of four other victims, including three Australians and one New Zealander.
Among the dead was Craig Senger, the first Australian government official to be killed in a terrorist attack, Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said on Sunday.
Senger worked as a trade commission officer at the embassy in Jakarta.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Dark matter, mysterious invisible stuff that makes up most of the mass of galaxies, including the Milky Way, is confounding scientists again, with new observations of distant galaxies conflicting with the current understanding of its nature. Research published this week revealed an unexpected discrepancy between observations of dark matter concentrations in three massive clusters of galaxies encompassing trillions of stars and theoretical computer simulations of how dark matter should be distributed. “Either there is a missing ingredient in the simulations or we have made a fundamental incorrect assumption about the nature of dark matter,” Yale University astrophysicist Priyamvada Natarajan, a coauthor of