Thu, Jul 16, 2009 - Page 7 News List

Custom US Army brigades to advise Iraqis

NEW UNITS The advisory brigades include combat forces but are not combat units and will be allowed to stay in cities when needed, the US Defense Department said

REUTERS AND AP , WASHINGTON AND BAGHDAD

The US Defense Department has created, and ordered to Iraq, four custom-made Army brigades designed to focus more on advising Iraqis and less on fighting as the US prepares for its 2011 exit.

The new units are among 30,000 troops being sent to Iraq, starting later this year, the department announced on Tuesday. Another 7,500 are going to Afghanistan.

They all are replacements for forces finishing their tours of duty and rotating home from the military missions, and don’t amount to a troop buildup in either country, officials said.

The 30,000 for Iraq include three brigade combat teams, three headquarters units, a security brigade to be stationed in nearby Kuwait and four of the newly created so-called Advisory and Assistance Brigades.

The advisory brigades include combat forces but are not technically combat units and will be allowed to stay in Iraqi cities when needed.

That’s despite last month’s pullout of combat forces from the cities, Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman said.

The new units are built around a combat brigade team but instead will focus on stability operations. They also are tailored to include engineers, military police, civil affairs officers and people to help with transportation needed for the US State Department’s reconstruction teams, Whitman told Pentagon reporters.

“The mission of these units will be to train and mentor Iraqi security forces, conduct coordinated counterterrorism missions and protect ongoing civilian and military efforts within Iraq,” he said.

Under a US-Iraqi security pact that took effect earlier this year, Iraqi forces assumed responsibility for securing cities after the withdrawal of US combat from towns and cities on June 30.

Some 130,000 US troops remain in Iraq, but have a lower profile. All US forces are to withdraw from the country by Dec. 31, 2011, and US President Barack Obama has also said no more than 50,000 combat troops will remain by the end of August next year.

The troops will be sent to Iraq and Afghanistan later in the year, with some arriving early next year.

Meanwhile, a suicide car bomb killed six people and wounded 16 others yesterday in Iraq’s western Anbar Province, police said.

Two traffic police were among those killed in the attack near an Iraqi police checkpoint in Ramadi, a city 100km west of Baghdad.

Police Lieutenant Hatim Abd said police were checking cars at the checkpoint in the central part of the city when a car at the end of the line exploded.

“We have shut down all the roads in the area and evacuated the wounded and killed to the Ramadi hospital,” he said.

Salah al-Obeidi, a doctor at the Ramadi hospital, said some of the wounded were in grave condition. He said the death toll might rise.

This story has been viewed 1277 times.
TOP top