Italian police have launched an investigation into the torching of a car belonging to a model who alleged she was paid to attend a party with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.
The suspected arson attack on Thursday morning came as a second woman, Patrizia D’Addario, a former model and escort who claims she spent a night with Berlusconi at his Rome residence, said a break-in at her house could be connected to threats she made to go public about the night.
The women and 17 others have reportedly been questioned by Bari prosecutors who suspect a local businessman, Gianpaolo Tarantini, of “abetting prostitution” by paying women to attend parties, including those held by Berlusconi.
Barbara Montereale’s Honda Jazz was doused with gas and set alight in the southern city of Bari after she alleged that she had been paid 1,000 euros (US$1,400) by Tarantini to attend a party at Berlusconi’s holiday home in Sardinia.
Montereale also claimed that D’Addario had told her she had sex with Berlusconi in November, after a dinner at his Rome residence.
D’Addario declined to confirm that in an interview with La Repubblica on Thursday, but did say that Berlusconi had “openly caressed” her on a sofa in front of a bodyguard. She also said she attended two parties at his Rome residence, including one at which about 20 women flocked around him as if they were at a “harem.”
D’Addario said she was not paid for spending the night with Berlusconi, but secured a promise from him to help win her a building permit for a hotel in Bari.
When that help was not forthcoming, D’Addario said she felt betrayed and told a friend about secret audio tapes she had made during her night with Berlusconi. A few days later, she said, a computer, CDs, underwear and the Versace dress she wore that night were stolen from her home.
“I was frightened, then began to understand,” she said.
Berlusconi said this week he had never paid for sex, preferring the pleasure of conquest. He said he did not recall D’Addario.
“I didn’t know her name and didn’t remember her face,” he said.
Berlusconi’s wife announced she would divorce him last month, accusing him of “frequenting minors” after he attended the 18th birthday party of aspiring model Noemi Letizia.
On Thursday Berlusconi said: “I will not change. The Italians want me like this.”
His governing coalition performed well in this month’s EU and local elections, but as new allegations emerge, he has faced a growing groundswell of Catholic objections to his lifestyle. This week, Italy’s most popular Catholic magazine said he had “passed the limits of decency.”
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of