The Pakistani Taliban have vowed to resist until the “last breath” as security forces entered two militant-held towns and fought on the outskirts of a third in what could turn into bloody urban battles near the Afghan border.
As Pakistani political leaders gathered yesterday to discuss the military operation in the Swat Valley and surrounding areas, the prime minister insisted the country’s nuclear arsenal was safe, comments that follow reports it is expanding its nuclear stockpile.
Washington has pressed Islamabad to crack down on al-Qaeda and Taliban strongholds along the Afghan frontier, saying the militants threaten not only US and NATO troops in Afghanistan, but also Pakistan’s existence.
PHOTO: REUTERS
A top official said on Sunday that the military offensive had killed more than 1,000 suspected militants and would proceed until the last insurgent was “flushed out.” Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan said later in the day that the militants were defiant.
“We will fight until the last breath for the enforcement of Islamic law,” Khan said in a brief phone call from an undisclosed location. “We consider ourselves on the right path.”
Swat was once a tourist destination that fell prey to Taliban advances over the past two years. The military’s latest offensive in the region has already led to an exodus of nearly a million people.
About 100,000 of them are now in sweltering refugee camps.
The battle in Swat’s towns in particular could prove a stiff test for Pakistan’s military.
The army is geared toward fighting a conventional battle against longtime rival India on the plains of the Punjab region using tanks and artillery, it has limited experience battling guerrillas in urban settings.
The military has tried operations in Swat before but failed to force out the Taliban, many of whom could blend in easily with the regular population or had hideouts in the mountains. Civilians in Swat said the military’s heavy use of airstrikes killed many innocents instead of militants.
In a statement on Sunday afternoon, the army said 25 militants and a soldier died in the previous 24 hours of the operation.
Security forces engaged in firefights with militants on the outskirts of Swat’s main town, Mingora, where many of the estimated 4,000 Taliban fighters in the valley are believed to be holed up, the statement said.
It also said security forces had surrounded and entered the towns of Matta and Kanju to take on the militants, and it requested civilians still in those areas to stay away from Taliban hide-outs.
Troops were making gains in the remote Piochar area, the rear base of Swat Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah, it added.
Pakistan’s weak civilian government has been trying to rally public support behind the offensive and it has done relatively well — something made easier by public anger over Taliban advances into a district just 97km from the capital, Islamabad.
News channels have been broadcasting spots, such as one featuring ordinary Pakistanis saluting the army, while a variety of groups have collected funds and goods to send to the displaced civilians.
To get more consensus, government officials met with the leaders of all the major political parties yesterday in Islamabad.
At the start of the mostly private session, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said the army would stay in Swat until the displaced can safely return, but warned that there must be a political solution in the long run.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told