Sat, Apr 25, 2009 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take



Police can’t shoot straight

Ninety percent of police cannot shoot straight or clean their guns properly, based on recent firearms proficiency tests, an official said yesterday. “Of the country’s 125,000 policemen and women, 90 percent cannot shoot straight and have difficulty just taking care of their guns,” National Police Commission Commissioner Luis Mario General told reporters. General, whose agency monitors the national police, said that of the remaining 10 percent, most of them ranked barely above the level of “novice.” General said his commission would recommend to the National Police that it conduct regular marksmanship training for all its members, including the top brass.


Activists to stage pageant

A women’s movement that claims credit for driving the Miss Korea beauty pageant off the airwaves is this weekend staging an alternative festival mocking traditional attitudes to women. The Anti-Miss Korea Festival, which the movement has staged annually since 1999, is this year changing its name to IF (If you want to become a real Feminist), chief policy planner Gang Soo-jeong said yesterday. Today’s event at a Seoul university will focus on economic hardships and sexual mistreatment faced by Korean women during the global economic recession.


Man transplants heart, liver

A 58-year-old pastor has undergone a simultaneous heart and liver transplant, the first time such an operation has been carried out in Asia, doctors said yesterday. The 13-hour surgery, which took place two weeks ago at the Singapore General Hospital, was needed to treat a rare genetic condition affecting Lau Chin-kwee, his doctors told a press conference. Lau suffers from a condition known as Familial Amyloid Polyneuropathy, in which a gene mutation causes the liver to produce abnormal proteins that affect the nerves. Eventually, the liver will no longer function properly. Further tests showed the pastor’s heart had also been affected by the same genetic condition, the doctors said.


Shark dumped on doorstep

A live shark was found dumped on the doorstep of a newspaper’s office in a coastal town in the southeast, police said on Thursday. A passer-by alerted police in Warrnambool, Victoria, shortly after midnight that a shark was lying at the front door of the town’s Standard newspaper. “We arrived and poured some water on it just to see if it was still breathing and it kicked around for a little while,” said Constable Jarrod Dwyer, who said the shark was about 70cm long. Dwyer said they took the shark to the town’s breakwater in a borrowed bucket of water, and released it into the sea.


Acquitted US Marine departs

The US Marine acquitted on appeal in a high-profile rape case has left the country, the US embassy said yesterday. The court of appeals on Thursday found Lance Corporal Daniel Smith not guilty of raping a woman in November 2005, overturning a sentence of life imprisonment handed down in December 2006. The mission served as Smith’s custodian while the case went on appeal. Outside the embassy, police blocked small groups of protesters who denounced the appeal court’s ruling and demanded that Manila cut military ties with Washington, its former colonial master, photographers at the scene said.


Court annuls mayoral poll

This story has been viewed 2447 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top