Mexico said on Monday it would increase tariffs on about 90 US products in retaliation for last week’s decision to end a pilot program that allowed some Mexican trucks to transport goods in the US.
Mexican Economy Secretary Gerardo Ruiz Mateos said the US decision violated a provision of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) that was supposed to have opened cross-border trucking by January 2000.
“We consider this US action to be wrong, protectionist and a clear violation of the treaty,” Ruiz Mateos told reporters. “By deciding to protect their trucking industry, they have decided to affect other countries and the region.”
The measure will affect about US$2.4 billion in trade involving approximately 90 agricultural and industrial products from 40 US states. Ruiz Mateos said the department later this week would publish a list of the products, which he said were chosen to represent a large number of US states and significant trade items.
He did not specify how much tariffs would be increased, but said “the retaliatory measures are the cost the United States is going to have to pay for failing to fulfill its obligations under NAFTA.”
The action alarmed Representative Kevin Brady, the ranking Republican on the trade subcommittee of the House Ways and Means Committee. Wheat and beef are two of his states top three exports.
“We’ve got a tough economy. We are going to lose sales, [agricultural] sales of exports that we are selling into Mexico and that may well go to other countries,” he said. “If you raise [duties], our wheat or beef may not be competitive to Mexico consumers.”
A pilot program begun in 2007 that had allowed a few Mexican trucks beyond a border buffer zone died last week when US President Barack Obama signed a sweeping government bill that barred spending on it.
But the administration said Obama had asked the office of the US Trade Representative to work with the US Department of Transportation, State Department and Congress to create a new trucking program.
Representative Sander Levin, a Democrat who chairs the Ways and Means trade subcommittee, said he was “disappointed that the Mexican government has decided to retaliate, given that the Obama administration has publicly committed itself to working with the Congress and the Mexican government to address this and related issues.”
Activists and industry associations in the US had argued that Mexican trucks were unsafe.
“No trade agreement should obligate us to compromise our highway safety,” said Senator Byron Dorgon, a Democrat.
But Ruiz Mateos said the Mexican trucks crossing the border were safe: “The Mexican trucks even exceeded the US safety standards in some cases.”
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including