An ethnic minority called off a two-week general strike in Nepal’s southern plains yesterday following an agreement with the government.
Shops, main markets, offices and educational institutions began reopening across the region known as Terai, as public and private transport resumed on major highways.
The strike had paralyzed nearly half of Nepal’s 75 districts with many places reporting shortages of essential items and food grain.
It had effectively cut off supplies of farm produce and fuel to many hill districts, including the capital Kathmandu.
The government and ethnic Tharu leadership reached a six-point agreement late on Saturday night.
Kathmandu agreed to remove the Tharu and other ethnic communities from a list that classified them under the dominant Madhesi group in the region.
The delisting was aimed at preserving minority rights and giving them priority for some public-sector jobs.
The government also agreed to provide compensation to the families of those killed and injured in violence during the strike.
At least five people, including a police officer, were killed and scores injured during two weeks of unrest.
The Maoist-led government has been struggling to deal with the demands of ethnic groups since it came to power last year.
Armed rebel groups are demanding greater autonomy and right to self-determination. Several attempts to bring them into peace negotiations have failed.
Over 250 people have been killed in ethnic violence in southern Nepal in the past two years.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding