Essays and poetry wanted
Taipei City’s Department of Labor is inviting foreign workers to take part in the 2009 Foreign Workers’ Poetry & Essay Writing Competition to share their experiences of living in Taiwan. The contest is open to all foreign workers in Taiwan, and participants can submit their entries in any language. The winners of the “Poetry” and “Essay” categories will receive NT$10,000 prizes, and award-winning entries will be published in an anthology the department said. The word limit for the “Essay” category is 1,000 words. Submissions to the competition must be postmarked no later than April 30. Those interested in entering the contest should include their full name, address, passport number, telephone number, one photo and a short biography along with their work, and mail the package to Foreign Workers Counseling Service Center, 8F, No. 21, Section 1, Dihua Street, Taipei City 103. For more information call (02)2550-7229 or 2550-2151, ext. 212-214
Kaohsiung bureau seeks jobs for locals
A total of 13,392 foreign workers remain employed in Kaohsiung City, and companies forcing local workers to take unpaid leave will be targeted by the city to help ease the rising jobless rate, the city’s Bureau of Labor Affairs said on Thursday. The local manufacturing industry has the largest number of foreign workers, 6,502, followed by the care giving sector with 5,896 employees, statistics compiled by the bureau show. The highest number of foreign workers, 5,666, are from Indonesia, followed by the Philippines with 5,003, Vietnam with 2,365, and Thailand with 1,358, the figures show. To fight a growing jobless rate brought about by the ongoing economic downturn, the city’s labor affairs bureau has demanded that companies employ more local workers to fill new job vacancies, and that they repatriate foreign workers upon expiry of their contracts, bureau officials said. Several high-tech companies repatriated their foreign workers at the beginning of the year following this order, the bureau said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses