Rescue workers with dogs were threatened by mudslides on Sunday as they searched among collapsed houses for survivors of an earthquake that killed more than 20 people in a Costa Rican town last week.
Sniffer dogs stumbled through rubble around the village of Cinchona, on the flank of the Poas Volcano, where rescuers believe more victims may be found in a restaurant crushed by a landslide after Thursday’s 6.1 magnitude quake.
“We think there are two people in this house, so we’re going to cut through the roof and dig to see what we can find,” said rescuer Andres Madrigal, who later recovered the bodies of two small children and a woman from the house.
PHOTO: AFP
A Red Cross official had earlier put the death toll at 20. Another 2,478 people evacuated during the temblor were being housed in 21 shelters, the National Emergency Commission said in a statement.
Authorities visited shelters crammed with hundreds of Costa Ricans in the hopes of narrowing a list of missing people.
The commission said 218 houses were destroyed or damaged, but cautioned that surveyors had yet to reach several towns and villages around Poas Volcano.
Daily rain has added to the danger of more landslides, commission official Victor Falla said.
“Some [ground shifts] are so strong that work has to be suspended,” he said. “Everyone, including the rescuers, has to run.”
Houses in the jungle region teetered on the edges of cliffs created by the earthquake. In one area at risk of collapse, abandoned dogs guarded homes left by residents evacuated to shelters.
Colombia and the US have sent military helicopters, rations, bottled water and electric generators to help the Costa Rican government, which does not have an army.
Hundreds of people stranded by blocked roads have been moved to shelters or evacuated by air to the capital San Jose.
Five British tourists who were unaccounted for have since been located and are safe, embassy official Ericka Phillips said.
“We have had no reports, of British or any other foreign nationality, of deaths, injuries or missing people,” she said.
Costa Rica is a popular tourist destination because of its lush natural parks, volcanoes and rich wildlife, but it is prone to natural disasters like the rest of Central America.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told