The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) opened an office yesterday in China’s capital — its first outside the US — as part of a new global strategy to ensure the safety of trillions of dollars of imports.
Product safety has become a key issue as American manufacturers shift operations overseas and foreign producers make inroads in the US.
Worries about the quality of Chinese exports to the US have become a major feature of bilateral trade ties, with substandard Chinese food and toxin-laced toothpaste among product safety scares this past year.
“In the past we have always been at our borders to try and catch things that were not safe or did not meet our standards,” US Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said at a ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the opening of the Beijing office. “In the future our new strategy is to build safety into products at every step of the way.”
After meetings with Chinese officials on Tuesday, Leavitt said both countries would work on a joint initiative to use better technology for detecting contamination, demand greater corporate responsibility and increase sharing of data and information.
In the past year, China has stepped up inspections and tightened restrictions on food production and other industries, after a series of global product scandals. Still, it’s an uphill climb for Chinese authorities to regulate countless small and illegally run operations, which are often blamed for introducing chemicals and food additives into the murky food chain.
Most recently, dairy products tainted with the industrial chemical melamine have been blamed in the deaths of at least three babies in China. Tens of thousands of other children were sickened.
Shao Mingli, a vice health minister and head of the country’s food and drug administration, said the opening of the FDA office “provides a very clear signal to the whole world.”
“As food and drug regulatory agencies, our first priority is to protect public health and life,” Shao said at the ceremony. “This is our top responsibility.”
The FDA office in Beijing will be followed by two more in the Chinese cities of Shanghai and Guangzhou. Offices will also be opened in India, Latin America and Europe in coming months as the FDA tries to globalize its presence to reassure consumers. This year alone, the US imported US$2 trillion in goods, equal to four times the size of Brazil’s economy.
Over the past year, the FDA has been criticized for failing to prevent a string of problematic products in the US, including contaminated blood thinners manufactured in China and salmonella-tainted peppers imported from Mexico.
“FDA is reaching beyond our own borders to be able to work collaboratively and cooperatively with other regulatory agencies around the world” as a way to assure that products are safe and effective, said the agency’s commissioner, Andrew von Eschenbach.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told