Sun, Nov 02, 2008 - Page 6 News List

Libya pays US$1.5bn in damages

CLEAR TO GO The agreement on the Lockerbie payout means that court cases will be dismissed and Libya will have its immunities restored before courts in the US

DPA AND AP , WASHINGTON AND MOSCOW

The US late on Friday confirmed that Libya has paid US$1.5 billion into a US-controlled account to compensate US victims of a 1988 terrorist attack and other attacks, saying the step had removed “the last obstacle to a normal relationship between the United States and Libya.”

“We will work on that now going forward,” David Welch, assistant secretary of state for near east affairs, said in a briefing.

The payment follows the meeting in September in Tripoli between US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, who formally ended a half century of hostility.

US and Libyan relations began warming in 2003 when Qaddafi agreed to give up weapons of mass destruction programs and denounce terrorism.

The US subsequently ended sanctions, removed oil-rich Libya from its terrorist blacklist and re-established diplomatic relations.

The groundwork for Friday’s announcement was finalized in August, when Libya agreed to provide hundreds of millions of dollars into the fund to compensate the families of those who died in the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie, Scotland, and two US soldiers killed in the 1986 bombing of a Berlin disco.

The agreement on the money means cases before US courts will be dismissed and that Libya will have its immunities restored before US courts, Welch said.

The US decision to restore ties has angered families of the Pan Am victims who still regard Qaddafi as a murderer who should not benefit from positive relations with Washington.

The US$1.5 billion is to be shared among more than 400 victims, mostly American, of about a dozen terrorist attacks in the 1980s, including the relatives of the 270 people killed on Pan Am Flight 103, the New York Times reported.

Earlier on Friday, convicted Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohammed al-Megrahi applied for interim liberation pending the outcome of an appeal, British media reported.

The former Libyan intelligence agent, age 56, is suffering from prostate cancer and was temporarily transferred from his prison cell in Greenock, Scotland, last month to hospital.

Al-Megrahi is serving a life sentence for the Pan Am bombing.

Meanwhile, Qaddafi, making his first visit to post-Soviet Russia, hopes to clinch a series of major arms deals in another sign of strengthening ties between the Cold War allies.

A leading Russian newspaper also reported that Qaddafi, whose three-day visit began on Friday, was prepared to offer Russia’s navy access to Libya’s Mediterranean port of Benghazi. The newspaper said Qaddafi, fearing another US attack, favors a Russian military presence in Libya.

Russia has moved significantly to rebuild ties with Russia that withered after the 1991 Soviet collapse.

During a visit in April, then Russian president Vladimir Putin agreed to write off US$4.5 billion in Libyan debt in exchange for lucrative deals in energy and arms. In return, Russia landed a US$2.8 billion contract for state-owned Russian Railways and Russia’s gas monopoly Gazprom signed a deal to develop six prospective oil and gas fields in Libya.

The Interfax news agency said on Friday that prospective deals under discussion include the Libyan purchase of S-300, Tor-M1 and Buk-M1 air defense missile systems, two squadrons of Su-30 and MiG-29 fighter jets, several dozen combat helicopters, tanks, rocket launchers and a diesel submarine.

This story has been viewed 2278 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top