China wants to restrict the number of climbers on Mount Everest in a bid to protect the harsh but fragile environment on the world's highest mountain, state media said yesterday.
New legislation could be introduced to control the number of visitors, the reports said in the wake of long-standing concerns that climbers and other visitors pollute the mountain with hard-to-clear rubbish and waste.
“We need to limit the number of people who want to climb Mount Everest, who exert a negative impact on the environment,” Zhang Yongze (張永澤), the director of Tibet’s Bureau of Environmental Protection, told the Xinhua news agency.
“We will also need to strengthen management of commercial activities involving [the mountain],” he said in an interview. “We don’t want so many visitors to disturb the peak.”
AFP could not reach the bureau for comment yesterday, but the China Daily said Zhang had suggested new laws could be introduced to restrict visitor numbers on the Chinese side of the mountain, which straddles the border with Nepal.
Authorities also intend to remove rubbish from Everest’s slopes in the first half of next year, Zhang told Xinhua.
“We have the responsibility to ensure that every drop of water flowing out of Mount Qomolangma into rivers and streams is clean,” Zhang said, referring to Everest by its Tibetan name.
Scaling Everest has become big business and more than 2,000 people have so far succeeded in reaching the 8,848m peak. Many more visit the area around Everest without making it all the way to the summit.
More than 40,000 tourists visited last year on the Chinese side, leaving behind 120 tonnes of trash, the China Daily reported. But they were a fraction of the number visiting the Nepali side each year, the paper said.
Campaigns to pick up the huge amounts of garbage left by visitors and climbers have been going on since 1992.
Last year, a team led by Japanese mountaineer Ken Noguchi collected about 500kg of rubbish — including tins, old tents, food and medicines — during an annual clean-up drive.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting