The first debate in Malaysia’s new parliament descended into noisy name-calling yesterday as a newly emboldened opposition took on the government.
Monkey and Bigfoot were two of the epithets used in a rowdy session during which lawmakers shouted and gesticulated in heated exchanges across the floor of the chamber.
The scenes, broadcast live on television, were an indicator of the new shape of Malaysian politics after Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi’s governing coalition suffered its worst ever election results in March.
The March 8 polls saw his Barisan Nasional coalition, which has ruled the country for the last half century, lose its two-thirds majority in parliament as well as control of five states.
The first sitting of Malaysia’s 12th parliament was delayed by more than 20 minutes as government and opposition parliamentarians hurled barbs and raised technical issues.
Opposition Democratic Action Party chairman and lawmaker Karpal Singh began by questioning the way the session was being held when he was distracted by a member of parliament, Bung Moktar Radin.
“I hope Bigfoot ... does not disrupt the proceedings,” Karpal taunted him, using a long-standing gibe about Bung’s physical size.
“Bigfoot, sit down,” he said.
Bung sprang from his chair, shouting: “I am bigfoot, you are big monkey.”
Speaker Pandikar Amin Mulia struggled to control the situation.
“Let’s not create chaos in parliament,” he appealed as the verbal exchanges continued. “Let us ensure there is order in parliament.”
A semblance of order was restored when Abdullah responded to a question on measures taken to reduce the impact of rising fuel and food prices.
However, Pandikar’s refusal to allow the usual follow-up questions to the prime minister’s response drew a further outburst, with former opposition leader Lim Kit Siang calling the restriction “a mockery of parliament.”
An exasperated Pandikar again appealed for calm in the house.
“Now we have spent one hour shouting on issues, is this a democratic process? Can we continue peacefully?” he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told