The suicide bombers who have killed 10,000 people in Iraq, including hundreds of US troops, are usually alienated young men from large families who are desperate to stand out from the crowd and make their mark -- and they are not Iraqi -- a US military study found.
As long suspected, most come from abroad. Saudi Arabia, home of most of the hijackers involved in the Sept. 11,2001, attacks in the US, is the single largest source. And the pipeline is continually replenished by recruiters for al-Qaeda in Iraq.
The study, obtained by The Associated Press, profiles the suicide bombers and their support system based in part on interrogations of 48 foreign fighters who were captured or surrendered. The US command is trying to understand the system, including al-Qaeda in Iraq's recruiting, training and transportation network, so it can be disrupted before the bombers strike.
PHOTO: AFP
The report summary said interrogators concluded that most foreign fighters are Sunni Muslim men aged 18 to 30, with a mean age of 22. They are almost always single males with no children and tend to be students or hold blue-collar jobs ranging from taxi drivers to construction and retail sales.
The summary went on to describe the majority of the fighters as having six to 12 years of schooling, with very few having gone to college. Most come from families in the poor or middle classes and have six to eight siblings.
"In these large family groups, individuals seek ways to `make their mark,' to set them apart. In many ways, entering jihad gives sons a way to show themselves unique in a large family," the summary said.
Tallies from the National Counterterrorism Center in Washington showed that 949 suicide bombers killed 10,119 people and wounded 22,995 from the beginning of 2004 until now. Data compiled by the AP through its own reporting found that between April 28, 2005, and last week there were 708 incidents involving suicide bombings, with a total of 14,633 Iraqis wounded and 7,098 killed.
Author Mohammed Hafez, who has tracked data in his own separate study, Suicide Bombers in Iraq, said there have been 1,800 suicide attacks worldwide since the phenomenon began in the early 1980s. Of those, more than half have taken place in Iraq.
"There have been more than 900 suicide attacks in Iraq ... Certainly the phenomenon is growing," said Hafez, a political science professor at the University of Missouri, Kansas City.
US Rear Admiral Gregory Smith, the spokesman for Multinational Forces in Iraq, said the overwhelming majority of suicide attackers in Iraq are not Iraqi.
"Iraqis are religiously and socially opposed to suicide, requiring al-Qaeda to recruit foreigners to carry out their terror. Approximately 90 percent of the suicide attacks in Iraq are carried out by foreigners," he said.
In an interview, two senior analysts who helped question the 48 captured fighters said the picture that emerges is of a cold and calculating process that recruits young, alienated men who are social outcasts. The interrogators could not be named for security reasons.
The demand for many foreign fighters begins in places such as the dingy back streets of teeming Iraqi cities such as Mosul, where al-Qaeda still holds sway.
If an al-Qaeda cell decides it needs two suicide bombers, it puts in an order.
That request goes to Syria and to the facilitators and recruiters training young men in North Africa and Saudi Arabia.
Three months later, the bomber is delivered, military investigators and officials say.
The US military said records seized from al-Qaeda show that 40 percent come from North African countries such as Libya and Algeria and 41 percent from Saudi Arabia.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told