The top Republican on the House of Representatives' Intelligence Committee defied the Bush administration and pledged to investigate the destruction of CIA interrogation tapes.
"We want to hold the community accountable for what's happened with these tapes. I think we will issue subpoenas," Republican Representative Peter Hoekstra said on Sunday.
The Department of Justice has urged Congress not to investigate and advised intelligence officials not to cooperate with a legislative inquiry.
"You've got a community that's incompetent. They are arrogant. And they are political," Hoekstra said. "And I think that we're going to hold [CIA Director] Mike Hayden accountable."
Earlier this month, the CIA acknowledged destroying videos showing the harsh interrogation of top al-Qaeda suspects. Hayden said the videos, which were made in 2002, were destroyed in 2005 out of fear the tapes would leak and reveal the identifies of interrogators.
The House panel subsequently vowed to investigate, requesting documents and making plans to call several witnesses.
But on Friday, Assistant Attorney General Kenneth Wainstein and CIA Inspector General John Helgerson, who are heading a separate Justice-CIA preliminary inquiry into the videotape destruction, asked Hoekstra and House Intelligence Chairman Silvestre Reyes, a Democrat, to postpone the review until it is clear where the government's preliminary inquiry will lead. They said they could not predict how long that would take.
Democratic Representative Jane Harman said on Sunday that a congressional review was necessary because it was an "independent branch of government." She noted that Congress and the Justice Department have conducted many parallel inquiries in the past.
Harman said that when she was the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee in 2003, she sent a letter to the CIA warning the agency not to destroy the videotapes and "they did it anyway and they didn't tell us."
"So I am worried. It smells like the cover-up of the cover-up," Harman said.
Democratic Senator Joe Biden on Sunday reiterated his call for Attorney General Michael Mukasey to appoint a special counsel to investigate, citing Mukasey's refusal during confirmation hearings in October to describe waterboarding as torture.
"I don't have confidence in the president. I don't have confidence in the vice president. And I don't have confidence in the Justice Department," Biden said.
MORE RESOURCES: The prime minister announced an extra A$1.1bn in health-related spending, of which A$150m would be spent on domestic violence support services Australia yesterday announced a nearly US$100 million boost in funding to tackle domestic violence after support services reported a spike in coronavirus-related family abuse. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said there had been a 75 percent surge in Google searches for help during the ongoing nationwide shutdown of non-essential services to curb the spread of COVID-19. Women’s Safety, a domestic violence charity in Australia’s most populous New South Wales state, has reported that more than 40 percent of workers had seen an increase in client numbers, with more than one-third of cases directly linked to the virus outbreak. In neighboring Victoria, women’s support
Canada opposes a plan by the US to send troops to its northern frontier to catch border jumpers who might be carrying COVID-19, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday. Trudeau and Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland were responding to a Global News report that said White House officials were discussing such a military deployment to the recently closed border, the world’s longest at 8,900km. Amid the pandemic it was temporarily shut as of Saturday to all non-essential travelers on both sides, but not cross-border trade. “Canada and the United States have the longest unmilitarized border in the world. And it
With their health in jeopardy and customers evaporating, sex workers in France are struggling as COVID-19 threatens their livelihoods — and there is no safety net in sight. Many are being forced onto the streets as they lose their incomes, at a time when police are enforcing government orders for people to stay at home. France has been in lockdown for a week, with only essential trips outside allowed, in a bid to stop the coronavirus spreading. “I have no choice since I work on the street and I travel to people’s homes,” said Pamela, a 46-year-old prostitute from the southwestern city of
BOMA ARMY BASE: An official said military vehicles were destroyed and captured munitions were carried off in speedboats in the surprise early-morning attack Boko Haram has killed 92 troops in a seven-hour attack on an island army base, the group’s deadliest assault yet on Chad’s armed forces. Chadian President Idriss Deby told local television that he traveled to the scene of the attack on Tuesday to pay tribute to the 92 dead troops, saying it was the first time so many troops had been lost. The attack early on Monday in Boma is part of an expanding militant campaign in the vast, marshy Lake Chad area, where the borders of Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria converge. Boko Haram launched an insurgency in Nigeria in 2009, before