The White House faced another clash with Congress yesterday after furious Democratic lawmakers demanded a probe into the CIA's destruction of tapes showing harsh interrogations of captured al-Qaeda operatives.
The US has been widely criticized by European allies and human rights groups for methods like "waterboarding" in which prisoners are made to fear that they are drowning.
US President George W. Bush, who has repeatedly said the US does not torture, had no recollection of being told about the tapes or their destruction, the White House said.
The CIA's disclosure that it had made and destroyed the tapes plunged the spy agency again into the glare of public scrutiny it has been unable to shake since prewar intelligence on Iraq turned out wrong.
Leading Democrats called for inquiries by the Justice Department and Congress and criticized the CIA for acting above the law.
Senator Edward Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, charged a cover-up reminiscent of the Watergate scandal that drove president Richard Nixon from office in 1974.
"The past six years, the Bush administration has run roughshod over our ideals and the rule of law," Kennedy said in a speech on the Senate floor. "Now, when the new Democratic Congress is demanding answers, the administration is feverishly covering up its tracks."
The New York Times reported yesterday that White House and Justice Department officials, as well as some senior members of Congress, advised the CIA in 2003 against the plan to destroy hundreds of hours of videotapes.
Citing unnamed government officials, the Times reported that Jose Rodriguez, the chief of the agency's clandestine service who retired this year, nonetheless ordered their destruction in November 2005 without even informing the CIA's top lawyer, John Rizzo, who was angry about the decision.
ABC News, citing unidentified officials, reported that then-White House Counsel Harriet Miers knew about the CIA's plan to destroy the videotapes in 2005 and advised against it.
CIA Director Michael Hayden said he was working to brief congressional intelligence panels early next week.
Hayden told employees in a letter on Thursday that the videotapes were made in 2002 as part of a secret detention and interrogation program that began with the arrest of suspected al-Qaeda lieutenant Abu Zubaydah.
The taping was discontinued later that year and the recordings were destroyed in 2005 as a potential security risk, said Hayden, who was not at the CIA then. It was feared that if the tapes were leaked, the lives of interrogators and their families would be in danger, he said. The spy agency was headed by Porter Goss at that time.
CIA spokesman George Little said leaders of relevant congressional committees were told of the tapes, the CIA's plans to destroy them and that they had been destroyed.
Bush has been a strong defender of the CIA interrogation program.
"The program is critical to the safety of the country," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said on Friday.
Bush did not recall being told about the interrogation tapes or their destruction before he was briefed by Hayden on Thursday, she said. "He has no recollection of being made aware of the tapes or their destruction before yesterday."
Assistant Senate Democratic Leader Dick Durbin of Illinois wrote to Attorney General Michael Mukasey requesting an investigation into whether the CIA had violated obstruction-of-justice laws by destroying the tapes.
"The CIA apparently withheld information about the existence of these videotapes from official proceedings, including the 9/11 Commission and a federal court," Durbin said in the letter.
Perino said White House lawyers were helping the CIA gather facts. But she said if Mukasey decided to open an investigation, "of course the White House would support that."
Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said the agency was reviewing Durbin's letter but had no immediate comment.
Representative Jane Harman, senior Democrat on the House of Representatives Intelligence committee at the time, said she had asked the CIA's top lawyer in February 2003 not to destroy any recordings after being briefed on the interrogations.
"The briefing raised a number of serious concerns and led me to send a letter to the General Counsel. Both the briefing and my letter are classified so I cannot reveal specifics, but I did caution against destruction of any videotapes," Harman said.
"This matter must be promptly and fully investigated," she said.
POINT-BLANK RANGE: Reporters and camera people from several outlets say police officers in Minneapolis had fired tear gas and rubber bullets directly at them Multiple journalists on the ground in Minnesota said they were teargassed and subject to other attacks by police on Saturday evening, a day after the widely condemned arrest of a CNN reporter live on air. Los Angeles Times journalist Molly Hennessy-Fiske, who was reporting outside the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis, said she was with a group of about a dozen journalists when the Minnesota State Patrol “fired tear gas canisters on us at point blank range.” “I was saying: ‘Where do we go?’ They did not tell us where to go. They didn’t direct us. They just fired on us,” she said
For nearly a decade, the UN Security Council has been frequently paralyzed by Russia’s obstinacy over the Syrian crisis. Today, however, it is the US-China rivalry that has infected a growing array of issues, according to officials and diplomats. As recently as 2017, an understanding between Washington and Beijing allowed the UN on three occasions — involving separate sets of economic sanctions — to project international unity in the face of the North Korean nuclear threat. Three years later, the COVID-19 pandemic has seen a ferocious competition erupt between the UN’s two main contributors, prompting UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on May
HISTORIC FLIGHT: The astronauts named their capsule ‘Endeavour,’ after the space shuttle on which they both flew, while Elon Musk said he was overcome with emotion Two veteran NASA astronauts headed for the International Space Station (ISS) yesterday after Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Saturday became the first commercial company to launch a rocket carrying humans into orbit, ushering in a new era in space travel. SpaceX’s two-stage Falcon 9 rocket with astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley aboard blasted off flawlessly in a cloud of bright orange flames and smoke from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, for a 19-hour voyage to the space station. “Let’s light this candle,” Hurley, the mission commander, told SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California, before liftoff at 3:22pm from NASA’s
INDIA Pride to be preserved The nation would not let its “pride be hurt” in its latest border flare-ups with China, but is determined to settle the dispute through talks, Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh said in a television interview late on Saturday. “Situations arise with China. It has happened before,” Singh said, adding that the government was striving to make sure “tension does not escalate.” The government has turned down US President Donald Trump’s offer to mediate, he said. IRAN Speaker says talks futile Newly elected Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf yesterday said that any negotiations with the US would be “futile.” The nation’s