Sri Lankan forces threw a security blanket over the capital Colombo yesterday and appealed for extra public vigilance a day after twin bomb attacks left 19 people dead and 45 injured, police said.
"There is a general security alert across Colombo," police spokesman Jayantha Wickremaratna said.
Officials have blamed the bombs on Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels, saying they were targeting civilians in revenge for military defeats.
PHOTO: AFP
"In the midst of repeated defeats and setbacks in the battlefield, LTTE attacks against civilians could intensify in the coming weeks," Wickremaratna said.
"The LTTE has targeted innocent civilians who have no involvement in the ongoing military operations," he said.
England's cricket test series in Sri Lanka would go ahead despite the attacks, team spokesman Andrew Walpole said.
Thirty-three people remain in hospital after a powerful parcel bomb exploded at Nugegoda, just south of Colombo, killing at least 17 and injuring 43 during Wednesday's evening rush hour, police said.
Earlier Wednesday, a disabled Tiger suicide bomber with explosives hidden in her bra blew herself up outside the office of Social Services Minister Douglas Devananda, killing his secretary and wounding two security men.
Schools in and around Colombo were closed yesterday for two days as a "safety measure" while troops were on the streets manning roadblocks and checking motorists driving into the capital during the morning rush-hour.
"The general public should be extra vigilant about their surroundings in trains, buses, crowded areas and even in schools," Wickremaratna said.
Police also banned vehicles from entering the plush twin-tower World Trade Center that houses the Colombo Stock Exchange and several ministries.
Meanwhile, London-based Amnesty International criticized the Tamil Tigers yesterday for attacking civilians, saying the attacks violated international humanitarian law.
"The LTTE must stop any direct or indiscriminate attacks on civilians," Amnesty secretary-general Irene Khan said.
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of