Rescuers searched yesterday for more than 30 Ukranian miners still missing 1,000m underground after a coal mine explosion that left 69 dead.
Another four bodies were recovered by emergency teams working through the night at the site in the industrial heartland of this former Soviet republic, the Ministry for Emergency Situations said.
Twenty-eight mine employees have so far been hospitalized.
President Viktor Yushchenko was expected to visit the site yesterday and three days of mourning were declared in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine.
The gas explosion occurred early on Sunday deep underground in one of Ukraine's largest coal mines, the Zasyadko mine, which has a long history of such disasters.
Relatives of those still missing endured a sleepless night gathered at the mine's headquarters awaiting news of loved ones, television news showed.
Many were overcome with emotion as officials periodically emerged to read out the latest names of the dead.
Several voiced disgust at the hazardous conditions the miners were subjected to for meager salaries, but said there was little alternative employment.
It took most of Sunday to localize the fire that swept through the mine after the blast, while rescue work was also inhibited by collapsed construction material, the Ukrainian Kommersant newspaper reported.
The paper said the explosion appeared to have been sparked by work to bore out a shaft that was intended to clear gas from the area concerned.
A massive rescue operation has been under way at the mine, where 456 people were working at the time of the incident.
The chief doctor attending the injured, Yevgeny Gadchuk, said the hospitalized miners were suffering from methane inhalation.
"They're in a state of shock," the doctor said.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych, who comes from the region, was overseeing the government's response to the accident and promised to establish the cause.
President Yushchenko said in a statement before his visit: "I am grieving with all of Ukraine."
Ukraine's coal mines are concentrated in the eastern part of the country and are considered among the most perilous in the world, with many poorly financed and employing outdated Soviet-era equipment.
The Zasyadko mine, one of Ukraine's largest, employs some 10,000 people and produces up to 10,000 tonnes of coal every day.
It has gained a reputation as one of the most dangerous in the country.
In 1999 an explosion there claimed 50 lives, while in 2001 another blast left 55 people dead.
A gas leak in September last year killed 13 miners and made dozens more sick.
Most of the disasters were caused by build-ups of methane gas, which can occur suddenly in the mine shafts.
Wages at most Ukrainian mines depend on the volume of coal produced, which gives miners an incentive to ignore safety procedures that would halt work when methane levels are high, said Anatoly Akimochkin, deputy head of Ukraine's Independent Miners' Union.
"Everyone tries not to pay attention to small problems in the safety equipment," Akimochkin said. "The pay system is one of the biggest causes of our accidents."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told