Argentina's version of Hillary Clinton, first lady Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, was taking it easy at home far from the bustle of Buenos Aires on Saturday, ahead of an election almost certain to make her president.
Fernandez was spending the weekend with her husband and outgoing president, Nestor Kirchner, in their house in Rio Gallegos in the chilly and sparsely populated Patagonia region in far southern Argentina.
The couple arrived from the capital late on Friday on board the presidential jet Tango One as restrictions on campaigning ahead of Sunday's vote kicked in.
According to all the last voter surveys, Fernandez can afford to relax.
Her numbers are so high she is expected to easily sweep the elections and emerge as the successor to Kirchner, who is stepping aside for her after only one four-year term.
That would make her Argentina's first elected woman president (Juan Peron's third wife and vice president, Isabel Peron, was made briefly head of state on his death in 1974 before a military coup ousted her).
The only suspense left is whether Fernandez will carry off outright victory in the elections Sunday -- as the polls predict -- or be forced to contest a knockout round next month against the second-placed candidate.
A few of the 13 politicians trailing her dared to hope there would be an upset.
"I think there is a certain possibility of a second round. It depends on the undecided voters, on people voting for other candidates voting for us," Elisa Carrio, seen as coming a distant second in the polls, told La Nacion newspaper.
"If there is a second round, I will lead the people, the voters," candidate Roberto Lavagna, a former economy minister credited with steering Argentina's economy back from its 2001 collapse, told the daily.
In a campaign speech on Thursday, she referred to the popular leftist policies overseen by her husband and vowed more of the same.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday