Italy saw the birth on Saturday of the Democratic Party, a merger of the ruling center-left's two largest formations, even as the government of Prime Minister Romano Prodi appeared on the brink of collapse.
"Our motor is the unity of reformist forces," Prodi told some 2,800 delegates to the party's constituent assembly in Milan's exhibition hall, decked out in futuristic green and white decor.
The meeting enthrones Rome's popular Mayor Walter Veltroni as party leader and heir apparent to the embattled Prodi.
The delegates, elected in primaries earlier this month, cheered as the two hugged on the podium with a popular rap song Mi Fido di Te (I trust in you) playing over the loudspeakers.
Veltroni, 52, becomes national secretary, while the 68-year-old Prodi will be president of the Democratic Party (DP).
The mayor pointed to the high turnout of some 3.5 million voters in the primaries, saying that Italy had become a "political laboratory" for all of Europe.
"The vote of Oct. 14 was a vote for change and not for politics as usual," he said.
Veltroni intends to stay on as mayor, while Prodi has repeatedly said he would step down at the end of his term in 2011 -- if he lasts that long.
The prime minister will play more of a supporting role than one of "active management," according to the daily Unita.
The DP merges the former communist Democrats of the Left and the centrist Catholic Daisy party with the hope that the result will be greater than the sum of its parts.
Veltroni said the party's priorities would include helping the most vulnerable, assuring the right to work, addressing the problems of the south, which is chronically poorer than the north, and fighting the mafia.
In the Unita interview published on Saturday, Prodi said the party had set a minimum goal of winning the support of one-third of the electorate.
The first electoral test will come in 2009 with the elections to the European Parliament, he added.
Prodi, who took power 17 months ago after a razor-thin election victory, told the delegates on Saturday that his government's lack of popularity "is the price to pay for its determination to carry out reforms."
Veltroni feels that the Cabinet should be pared down from its current 103 members, while Prodi would be hard pressed to jettison anyone given the need to maintain equilibrium among the nine parties making up his fragile coalition.
The center-left's narrow win in last year's elections depended on the far left, whose deep independent streak briefly brought down the Prodi government in February.
"I hope the DP will be a force for changing the local political class, so that it is chosen for its quality and its ideas, not for belonging to one group or another," a delegate from southern Naples, Antonella Ciaramella, said.
Another delegate, 30-year-old Francesca Poggiato from Prodi's home region, northern Emilia Romagna, said the DP had "a new model, of a party formed by and of the people."
"It absolutely should support and give added value to the government," she said.
In the coming weeks parliament will continue a bruising debate on the 2008 budget in what may become a decisive battle for Prodi, whose coalition ranges from far-left communists and Greens to centrist Catholics.
The political and social climate has deteriorated, with radical leftists taking to the streets to demand promised social reforms. Corruption scandals meanwhile have implicated government members including Justice Minister Clamente Mastella.
Voters are also frustrated over high taxes and a political class that is seen as over-privileged.
The DP's constituent assembly is evenly divided between men and women, and Veltroni said that balance would be seen throughout the organization of the new party.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday