Sixteen Europeans being held in Chad after a charity tried to fly more than 100 children from the central African nation to France may face charges, a Chadian minister said on Saturday.
It would be up to a judge to "determine the responsibility of each [crew member]," Justice Minister Albert Pahimi Padacke told reporters in Chad's main eastern city of Abeche.
In a separate telephone interview, Padacke said a meeting was taking place to decide whether to formally charge them.
Nine French nationals, including members of the charity Zoe's Ark and three journalists, were spending their second day in custody on Saturday.
Padacke also confirmed that seven Spanish crew members of the plane that was to carry the children had been detained.
Journalists were briefly allowed to visit Abeche's central police station on Saturday, where the French and the Spanish were being held in a single room.
But reporters were not allowed to speak to the detainees, take pictures or film them.
The 16 were unshackled and did not appear to bear traces of any violence that may have been inflicted during their detention, as one member of the charity had claimed.
The nine French nationals had organized an operation they said aimed to take 103 child orphans from the civil war in Sudan's western province of Darfur to France.
The group was arrested on Thursday in the eastern town of Abeche just before the plane was scheduled to leave.
Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno has demanded "severe punishment" for the charity workers and called it a case of "kidnap, pure and simple."
Deby claimed the charity had "tricked the vigilance of Chad's authorities."
He claimed that they were "acting against the will of parents" and rhetorically asked journalists if the aim was to "sell them or kill them and remove their organs?"
Chadian television late on Friday showed the French handcuffed and seated on the floor in Abeche, as well as boys and girls between one and eight years old. Some of the children were weeping.
The footage also included shots of the Spanish crew.
Zoe's Ark claimed it was flying out the children to "save them from death" in the nearby Darfur civil war.
But a UNICEF representative in Chad's capital N'Djamena said the "massive majority" of the children were from Chad and there was "nothing to say" they were orphans.
The matter has sparked controversy in France, where the children were reportedly to be adopted or fostered by families who paid US$4,000 to US$8,600 to the organization.
The French government has denounced the operation as "illegal" and "irresponsible."
French police have been investigating the charity's activities since July.
But Zoe's Ark claims French authorities never clearly denounced their planned operation -- and even transported charity members on its military planes.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of