A 57-year-old woman was in jail in Sicily on Wednesday night, accused of handing over her son to the Mafia to be murdered. Her daughter was also in custody, accused of the same offense. Police said the mother and sister attended the mobsters' "summit" at which his fate was planned.
Sebastiano Mazzeo, the 20-year-old son of a Cosa Nostra godfather, disappeared in 1989 after it became known he was cooperating with the authorities. His body has never been found, and according to testimony from mafiosi who turned state's evidence, it was chopped into bits with a machete.
A supergrass had pointed a finger at Mazzeo's mother, Gaetana Conti, in 1991. But the case against her was shelved for lack of corroboration. In March, however, a second witness came forward with a version of events that coincided with the first.
Sebastiano had decided to testify to investigators after being arrested as a teenager for robbery and attempted murder.
His father, Francesco, was paralyzed in a settling of scores before his son's arrest. Subsequently, the Cosa Nostra boss was murdered at his villa by hitmen dressed as Carabinieri.
After offering to cooperate, Sebastiano was freed under police protection. But he vanished on Oct. 7, 1989. It is known he traveled to Rome. While he was missing from Catania he wrote a letter to the newspapers denying that he was a turncoat.
But, according to the men who have accused his mother, Sebastiano's protestation of "innocence" was disbelieved by the Mafia clan his family led. They told prosecutors that, at a meeting in a villa near Catania attended by his mother and sister it was agreed he should be killed.
The "contract" was handed to another clan. The two mafiosi who have since accused two Conti women were chosen as the hitmen.
They allege the two women told the intended victim they were going to smuggle him to safety in Milan.
They say they were then led to Mazzeo's hideout by his mother and sister.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses