A suicide car bomb struck US forces on the road to the Kabul airport yesterday, killing and wounding several people including foreign nationals, witnesses and officials said.
A senior Afghan security official said on condition of anonymity that three foreigners were killed and two wounded along with four Afghan civilians killed and six wounded. The figures were not confirmed by other officials.
An Afghan witness said he had seen at least one US soldier dead along with three Afghans.
The US military said a two- vehicle convoy had been struck by an explosion but only one soldier was injured. The separate NATO-led force said it was aware of an incident but did not immediately have details.
The blast, similar to a string of attacks by the extremist Taliban movement, set several vehicles on fire and plumes of thick, black smoke spewed into the air. Wreckage was strewn across a wide area.
Afghan television showed pictures of a body in military uniform lying on the ground. A reporter at the scene saw a US soldier being treated for injuries.
"There was a suicide bombing in a car. The attack was on American forces," interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Basharysaid. There were several dead and wounded, he said, without giving details.
Health Minister Sayed Mohammad Amin Fatemi said one Afghan civilian died in hospital from severe wounds and eight others were hospitalized.
But witnesses said several people were killed at the scene, about 500m from the airport.
"The two foreign vehicles were driving towards the airport," said tailor Mohammad Fahim. "I didn't see the bombers' vehicle but I saw the explosion. One of the two vehicles flipped onto its side, hitting two civilian vehicles."
He said he saw a dead body taken from each of the civilian vehicles. "I saw another guy dead, he had been passing by on a bicycle. I saw two foreigners -- one was definitely dead. The other was lying down on the ground."
Kabul has been struck by a series of Taliban suicide attacks this year. The last was on Tuesday and killed 13 people.
The Taliban was driven from government in a US-led invasion that started exactly six years ago and was launched when their group did not surrender its allies in al-Qaeda after the Sept. 11 attacks on the US.
The insurgency has escalated every year, with more than 110 attacks already this year compared with 120 in all of last year.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around