Indonesian judges began hearing a civil lawsuit yesterday against dictator Suharto aimed at recovering some of the millions of dollars he allegedly stole from the state during his 32-year rule.
The court was in session for just 20 minutes before judges ordered state prosecutors and lawyers for Suharto to try to reach a settlement among themselves.
Indonesian law requires a good-faith effort at settlement before proceeding in civil cases. The court gave the parties one month to reach a deal before moving ahead with the case.
The lawsuit follows an unsuccessful attempt in 2000 to launch criminal proceedings against Suharto over alleged corruption. Suharto's lawyers at that time prevailed, arguing the 86-year-old was too sick to stand trial.
The current suit seeks US$1.54 billion in damages and missing funds. It alleges money was channeled from the Indonesian Central Bank through state-owned banks to a Suharto-headed fund, which was was said to finance education scholarships, but the money was never accounted for.
"We just want the money back," prosecutor Dachmer Munthe said.
Suharto lawyer Mohamed Assegaf has repeatedly denied Suharto was corrupt. He said yesterday it was unlikely that the case could be settled directly between the two parties and predicted it would take years for the judges to rule.
He declined to comment on the details of the suit, saying only that he intended to argue it had been filed illegally. Munthe said he was confident the lawsuit was legal.
Local and international anti-graft groups have alleged that Suharto and his family siphoned off billions of dollars in state funds during his rule.
Suharto has also been accused of presiding over massive human-rights violations, including the murder of as many as a million people in an anti-communist purge in the 1960s and the deaths of tens of thousands in restive provinces.
POINT-BLANK RANGE: Reporters and camera people from several outlets say police officers in Minneapolis had fired tear gas and rubber bullets directly at them Multiple journalists on the ground in Minnesota said they were teargassed and subject to other attacks by police on Saturday evening, a day after the widely condemned arrest of a CNN reporter live on air. Los Angeles Times journalist Molly Hennessy-Fiske, who was reporting outside the Fifth Precinct in Minneapolis, said she was with a group of about a dozen journalists when the Minnesota State Patrol “fired tear gas canisters on us at point blank range.” “I was saying: ‘Where do we go?’ They did not tell us where to go. They didn’t direct us. They just fired on us,” she said
For nearly a decade, the UN Security Council has been frequently paralyzed by Russia’s obstinacy over the Syrian crisis. Today, however, it is the US-China rivalry that has infected a growing array of issues, according to officials and diplomats. As recently as 2017, an understanding between Washington and Beijing allowed the UN on three occasions — involving separate sets of economic sanctions — to project international unity in the face of the North Korean nuclear threat. Three years later, the COVID-19 pandemic has seen a ferocious competition erupt between the UN’s two main contributors, prompting UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on May
HISTORIC FLIGHT: The astronauts named their capsule ‘Endeavour,’ after the space shuttle on which they both flew, while Elon Musk said he was overcome with emotion Two veteran NASA astronauts headed for the International Space Station (ISS) yesterday after Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Saturday became the first commercial company to launch a rocket carrying humans into orbit, ushering in a new era in space travel. SpaceX’s two-stage Falcon 9 rocket with astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley aboard blasted off flawlessly in a cloud of bright orange flames and smoke from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, for a 19-hour voyage to the space station. “Let’s light this candle,” Hurley, the mission commander, told SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California, before liftoff at 3:22pm from NASA’s
INDIA Pride to be preserved The nation would not let its “pride be hurt” in its latest border flare-ups with China, but is determined to settle the dispute through talks, Minister of Defense Rajnath Singh said in a television interview late on Saturday. “Situations arise with China. It has happened before,” Singh said, adding that the government was striving to make sure “tension does not escalate.” The government has turned down US President Donald Trump’s offer to mediate, he said. IRAN Speaker says talks futile Newly elected Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf yesterday said that any negotiations with the US would be “futile.” The nation’s