Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has pulled an article he submitted to Foreign Affairs magazine, the influential journal of international relations, saying the editors there changed his writing to the point of censorship, an accusation the magazine denies.
In a bristling statement on Thursday, coming after a week of heightened tension with the West on a range of matters -- including the Kremlin's decision to suspend its participation in a treaty limiting conventional forces in Europe -- the Russian Foreign Ministry condemned the magazine for editing that verged on "the worst features of the Soviet censorship."
"As a result of the excruciating and sluggish exchanges with the editors, the likes of which could only be found in diplomatic history, it was decided to give up trying to place Sergey Lavrov's article in Foreign Affairs," the Russian statement said.
Lavrov's article, called "Containing Russia: Back to the Future," had been submitted in May for publication in the September and October issue, the Russians said. The magazine regularly carries articles written by foreign leaders.
Lavrov's essay, posted this week on the Foreign Ministry's Web site, broadly criticized American foreign policy on Iraq and other issues. It also protested what Lavrov described as a backlash in the West against Russia's efforts to assume a larger role in world affairs, a theme often repeated in Moscow these days and sometimes described here as an effort to counterbalance the US' global power.
"It is one thing to respect American culture and civilization; it is another to embrace Americo-centrism," Lavrov wrote. He had been motivated to write for the magazine to articulate Russia's positions on current issues and "ensure a positive development of US-Russian relations," the statement said.
Editors at the New York-based magazine said they had been blindsided by the decision to pull the article. James Hoge, the editor, said in a telephone interview that he had edited the story for clarity and to eliminate redundancies.
Hoge claims the changes in the 4,000-word essay had all been previously approved by Russian officials -- some of whom had even complimented him on the editing -- with the exception of the wording of a subtitle. The Russian ministry statement contended that editors wanted to subtitle the article "averting a new Cold War," or "a conflict between Russia and America."
Lavrov, the statement said, had objected to the use of the phrase "Cold War" because "in Moscow we assume that no new Cold War" is possible today.
Hoge said Lavrov had been asked to add a subtitle because all articles in the magazine carry a subtitle, but that he had never insisted on mentioning the Cold War. To be helpful, Hoge said, he had suggested several subtitles, but made clear the wording would be up to Lavrov.
Awaiting a reply from the Russian foreign minister, the magazine delayed delivery of the issue to the printers, he said, only to learn Monday that the Russians would pull the essay entirely.
"The unfortunate assertions emanating from the Russian foreign minister's office regarding Foreign Affairs are utterly erroneous," Hoge said.
Surprise announcements have become hallmarks of the government of President Vladimir Putin, projecting a muscular, confident posturing on a range of issues. In the past seven days, beyond pulling out of a major arms control treaty in retaliation for US plans to deploy a missile shield in Europe, Russia expelled four British diplomats in a confrontation over the poisoning of a former KGB agent in London.
These moves have added to a general souring in the relationship with the West. In other recent international disputes, some branches of the Russian government have been activated to press the political line, including health inspectors, environmental agencies and immigration authorities. Health inspectors banned mineral water from Georgia last year, for example.
Appended to the Foreign Ministry statement was a copy of the article, without the disputed subtitle. The ministry said it had made the article available to show that "in Sergey Lavrov's article there is nothing that will be harmful for adult Americans to read."
"This tough experience reminded of the worst features of the Soviet censorship past, which it appears some in the US would like to repeat," the ministry statement said, in slightly broken English. "It is a pity, indeed, that in parts of the US media there exists a trend of `state protection,' which narrows intellectual resources of America. We are convinced the USA deserves better," the statement said.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500