An earthquake-ravaged nuclear plant was shuttered indefinitely yesterday, amid revelations a radiation leak was worse than initially announced and mounting international concern about Japanese nuclear stewardship.
The mayor of Kashiwazaki city ordered the damaged Kashiwazaki-Kariwa facility closed until its safety could be confirmed, escalating a showdown over a long list of problems at the world's largest nuclear power plant, in terms of output capacity.
The International Atomic Energy Agency meanwhile pressed Japan to undertake a transparent and thorough investigation of the accidents to see if there are lessons that can be applied to nuclear plants elsewhere in the world.
Adding to the urgency was new data from aftershocks from Monday's deadly 6.8-magnitude quake suggesting a fault line may run underneath the mammoth power plant.
Tsunehisa Katsumata, president of plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), visited the site yesterday morning, declaring it "a mess." The previous evening, his company released a list of dozens of problems triggered by the quake.
A tour later given to Japan's Communist Party chief, Kazuo Shii, and a handful of reporters revealed widespread damage across its sprawling compound, including large cracks in roads, toppled concrete fences and buckled sidewalks.
"This is unforgivable," Shii told TEPCO deputy superintendent Masakazu Minamidate. "You say there's no leak before you really know. ... The delay in information was especially inexcusable."
Katsumata earlier apologized for "all the worry and trouble we have caused," but defended the safety standards.
"We will conduct an investigation from the ground up. But I think fundamentally we have confirmed that our safety measures worked," he said. "It is hard to make everything go perfectly."
TEPCO, Japan's largest power company, said the quake was stronger than planned for at the seven-reactor plant in Niigata Prefecture. But none of the problems posed serious threats to people or the environment, it said.
After Katsumata's plant tour, TEPCO announced that a leak of radioactive water into the Sea of Japan was actually 50 percent bigger than announced on Monday night. But the levels were still well below danger levels, it said.
"We made a mistake in calculating the amount that leaked into the ocean. We apologize and are making a correction," the statement said. Spokesman Jun Oshima said the amount was still "one-billionth of Japan's legal limit."
Still unconvinced was Hiroshi Aida, the mayor of Kashiwazaki, a city near the quake's epicenter and home to the plant and 93,500 people. He ordered operations at the plant to be halted yesterday for "safety reasons."
TEPCO had already come under fire for delays in reporting troubles, including the fire at an electric transformer and leaks of water containing radioactive material. But the lengthy list of problems released more than a day after the temblor stoked further concerns about the safety of nuclear power in this quake-prone country.
Speaking in Malaysia, International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei said a thorough review was key and offered to have his Vienna-based agency pull together global experts.
"It doesn't mean that the reactor structure or system has been damaged," ElBaradei said. "I would hope and I trust that Japan would be fully transparent in its investigation of that accident. The agency would be ready to join Japan through an international team in reviewing that accident and drawing the necessary lessons."
TEPCO spokesman Hiroshi Itagaki said aftershock data indicate a fault under the ocean floor near the plant. While it was unclear how close the line came to the plant, Meteorological Agency official Osamu Kamigaichi said it may stretch under its grounds.
The plant lies only 19km from the epicenter of the quake, just off the nearby coast of the Sea of Japan, TEPCO said.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”