Three Americans held hostage by leftist rebels will be released only if government troops withdraw from a large swathe of southern Colombia, a high-ranking guerrilla said on Tuesday.
A day after being freed in a bid to revive a stalled prisoner swap, Rodrigo Granda also rejected Colombian President Alvaro Uribe's attempt to promote him as a peace mediator without the recognition of the country's main rebel group.
Granda's comments, made in a nine-point statement at the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Episcopate in Bogota, seemed to dash hopes for any immediate release of some 60 hostages, including three US military contractions who were captured when their small plane crashed in a rebel stronghold in 2003.
"Any role, as modest as it may be, must be defined by the secretariat of the FARC," said Granda, referring to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.
Uribe released Granda from jail at the urging of French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who hopes the man known as the rebels' "foreign minister" can engineer the release of another prominent hostage, former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt, a dual French-Colombian citizen.
Uribe said he hoped Granda and another 180 rebels he plans to free in the coming days would mediate a humanitarian exchange to free the hostages, some of whom have been held for a decade.
The FARC has rejected the overture and ordered its jailed members not to accept release, calling Uribe's gesture "a trick."
Granda, even while thanking Sarkozy for his release, criticized Uribe for trying to benefit politically from the gesture.
"If Uribe accepted voluntarily the request for my release by France, then he should have acted accordingly without resorting to political games and blackmail in an attempt to vanquish the FARC's fighters," Granda said.
Granda said the only hope for a prisoner swap would be for the government to withdraw its troops from an 800km2 zone in two districts in southern Colombia.
"The imperative right now is the humanitarian exchange, which only will be possible demilitarizing Pradera and Florida," he said.
‘DEEPLY DISTURBING’ In one extreme case at an Ontario nursing home, an elderly patient was believed to have choked to death while being fed lying down Conditions at Ontario nursing homes hard-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, as described by troops helping out there, are “deeply disturbing,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday. The Canadian military last month deployed troops at the height of the pandemic to five elderly care homes in the nation’s most populous province to fill severe staff shortages. The military said that it found blatant disregard for infection control measures and “horrible” care of seniors that verged on abuse, a report said. The troops said that among other forms of mistreatment, residents had been “left in beds soiled in diapers,” crying for help and
Less than two months after detecting its first COVID-19 infection, Montenegro is the first nation in Europe to declare itself free of the coronavirus, a success story the tiny nation hopes would lure tourists to its Adriatic coast this summer. For weeks hotel staff have been raking empty beaches as the pandemic kept away visitors who would normally be arriving by plane, cruise ship and road this time of year, but finally there is a sliver of hope after Montenegro announced it no longer has any active cases of COVID-19. Tourism operators have already seized the opportunity to brand Montenegro as “Europe’s
With cat photographs and sometimes scathing irony, Switzerland-based Mathieu Rebeaud biochemistry researcher has nearly tripled his Twitter following since the COVID-19 pandemic began. With 14,000 followers, he posts almost daily, giving explanations on the latest scientific research and, in particular, aims to fight misinformation that spreads as fast as the novel coronavirus. He is among a growing number of doctors, academics and institutions who in the past several weeks have adapted and amplified their scientific messaging in hopes of countering what has been termed an “infodemic” — a deluge of information, including widespread false claims, which experts have said can pose a
NEW ZEALAND PM unfazed by quake Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern barely skipped a beat when an earthquake struck during a live TV interview yesterday morning. She interrupted Newshub host Ryan Bridge to tell him what was happening at the parliament complex in the capital, Wellington. “We’re just having a bit of an earthquake here Ryan, quite a decent shake here,” she said, looking up and around the room. “But, um, if you see things moving behind me.” The magnitude 5.6 quake struck in the ocean about 100km northeast of Wellington, the US Geological Survey said. The quake hit just before 8am and