Britain's Prince Harry will not be sent to Iraq as previously planned, the country's army chief said on Wednesday, insisting concerns for his safety had forced the decision.
The 22-year-old prince, third-in-line to the throne, was "very disappointed" by the announcement, a royal spokesman said, but he added that he would not quit the army.
General Sir Richard Dannatt acknowledged that Harry would not be pleased with the decision, but said the risk that he and fellow troops would be targeted was too great.
"I have decided today that Prince Harry will not deploy as a troop commander with his squadron," he said in a statement, adding that his decision was "final."
"There have been a number of specific threats -- some reported and some not reported -- which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual.
"These threats expose not only him but also those around him to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable," he said.
Harry is a second lieutenant in the elite Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry.
Dannatt insisted in April that Harry would join the regiment on a six-month tour of duty in Iraq later this month. He was due to be in charge of 11 soldiers and four Scimitar reconnaissance vehicles.
But recent weeks have been some of the bloodiest for the 7,100 British troops in Iraq -- 12 died last month alone and a total of 148 have now died there since the March 2003 US-led invasion.
A commander of Iraq's biggest Shiite Muslim militia, Abu Mujtaba, told the Guardian newspaper in April that it had "a special unit that would track [Harry] down, with informants inside the bases."
Some media reports have suggested that Harry could resign from the army if he was not allowed to go to Iraq.
He himself said in 2005: "There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst [the army officers' training college] and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country."
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of