The signal of a government-run television station in southern China was hijacked by alleged hackers who used the frequencies to broadcast anti-government content, press reports said yesterday.
The incident occurred on the evening of May 1, when the broadcast of a popular singing contest on Guangzhou Satellite Cable Television was blacked out for up to 90 minutes, the Southern Metropolitan Daily reported.
During the blackout, anti-government images lasting up to 40 seconds appeared on television screens in Guangzhou, the provincial capital of China's economically booming region of Guangdong, the report said.
No details of the messages or the alleged hijackers was given.
Officials at the television station refused to comment on the issue when contacted by phone, citing government sensitivities over such actions.
Although the news report was taken off the Southern Metropolitan Daily Web site as of yesterday, the identical report appeared on other government Web sites around the nation such as the Sichuan provincial news Web site.
The incident was not the first time satellite signals from state-owned television broadcasts have been jammed and replaced with anti-government messages.
The banned spiritual group the Falungong earlier this decade repeatedly hijacked state television satellite signals and broadcast content attacking the Chinese Communist Party.
Meanwhile, dozens of security guards wielding metal pipes clashed with workers at the construction site of the main stadium for next year's Beijing Olympics leaving at least four injured, state press said yesterday.
The clashes occurred late on Thursday after workers were found smoking in a no-smoking zone at the stadium known as the Bird's Nest for its intricate design of interlaced steel beams, the Beijing News said.
One migrant laborer from Sichuan Province surnamed An said he tried to help two other workers being kicked and beaten by up to 10 security guards, when he himself was jumped on and pummeled, the report said.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,