The chief architect working on the Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona on Wednesday condemned a plan to build a bullet-train tunnel less than 2m from Gaudi's unfinished masterpiece.
Backed by local civic groups, the advisers to UNESCO in Spain, and architects and engineers from 50 universities around the world, Jordi Bonet i Armengol, who has worked on Gaudi's daring cathedral for 40 years, said : "I am astounded by this brutality. This is an attack on culture of the highest order, something one would only expect of a third-world country."
In a protest letter, an engineer from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology called the railway plan a "thoughtless act of vandalism", while the president of the cathedral board of directors, Joan Rigol, said it was "the kiss of death."
Last week, the mayor of Barcelona, the Catalan premier and the public works ministry approved the plan, which awaits an environmental impact review by the national government, according to a city spokesman.
The city of Barcelona wants to build the rail tunnel to provide a high-speed link between Madrid and Barcelona, and on to France.
The mayor, Jordi Hereu, has promised the project will "meet the highest technical standards" to guarantee "the safety of the surroundings."
However, during an emotional press conference yesterday, Bonet outlined what he sees as the dangers to the cathedral's foundation and structure. He also attacked the "arrogance" of the civil engineers working on the project. He said they had assured him that, with modern building materials, the daring architectural feat Gaudi began 120 years ago would be safe.
"They also said the Titanic couldn't sink," he said.
Bonet said the building, a UNESCO world heritage site visited by about 10,000 people a day, was threatened initially by the construction of an underground protective barrier, which begins less than 2m from the building's foundations. Any accidental contact during the project could cause cracks in the foundations. Eventually, chunks of the vaulted ceiling could fall on someone, he said.
The construction of the tunnel, which would pass below the water level only 10m beneath the 20,000-tonne cathedral, could cause the ground to shift or compress, destabilizing the building, he added. "The whole thing could crack and it would start to crumble," he said.
The Spanish branch of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (Icomos), which advises UNESCO, has launched a campaign to block the plan. It has sent letters and reports to local and national authorities, said the Icomos spokeswoman in Spain, Maria Rosa Suarez-Inclan.
"They are just laughing in the face of international conventions on world heritage," she said.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of