Australian officials suspended their search yesterday for three men missing from a ghost yacht found drifting off the northeast coast, amid reports the trio had sailed into a fierce storm.
The catamaran was found on Friday near the Great Barrier Reef, with engines running and a table laid for a meal but no one aboard.
Officials said they were baffled by the fate of the crew but yesterday called off the search, admitting that the chances of finding them alive had faded.
"Unless information comes in, in terms of sightings or something like that, the search has been suspended," a police spokeswoman said.
The head of the rescue operation, Phil Dowler, said it was unlikely that the men were still alive.
"Unfortunately up to now it's supposedly a week since they've gone missing -- it's quite difficult to survive without adequate food or water," he told state radio.
According to a report in the Sun-Herald, police believe skipper Derek Batten, 56, Peter Tunstead, 69, and his brother James Tunstead, 63, may have been swept overboard during a storm last Sunday.
"Initial investigations indicate that some time that day the vessel may have been tracking in a direction towards an area where some high-wind squalls and rough seas were building," police official Roy Wall told the paper.
Forensic experts who searched the Kaz II yacht after it was towed into Townsville on Saturday confirmed that it had a badly torn sail but found nothing else to indicate what happened to the men.
Relatives of the sailors said they would continue to hope their loved ones were alive.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses