A day after he was suspended by Romania's opposition-dominated parliament pending an impeachment referendum amid allegations that he abused his position, President Traian Basescu said he would not resign.
Basescu -- who had warned he would step down and run for a new term if suspended -- said on Friday that he had changed his mind, and that resigning would have prolonged the political turmoil because elections could not be organized for several months.
The impeachment referendum would take place on or before May 20. Senate Chairman Nicolae Vacaroiu on Friday took over as interim president.
Basescu is accused of a range of abuses, including wiretapping ministers' phones and criticizing judges.
"The best solution for Romania is for me to take part in the referendum," said Basescu, who has denied any wrongdoing. "It's correct to put the national interest first, which requires stability ahead of any political interest."
Basescu said he had received messages of concern from abroad about the political crisis. The EU in particular has been watching events nervously as new-member Romania is still expected to push through reforms to eradicate corruption and bring its economy up to par with other EU nations. Romania joined the bloc on Jan. 1.
Basescu -- a former sea captain and Romania's most popular politician -- was unlikely to be removed from office. A majority of all Romanians of voting age would need to support impeachment in the referendum, which was considered nearly impossible given his popularity and the normally low turnouts at Romanian ballots.
Vacaroiu, 63, took over as interim president until the results of the referendum were known.
"I am not happy because it's a very difficult situation," he said. "It's the first time in Romania's history that a president is suspended."
A member of the opposition left-wing Social Democratic Party, Vacaroiu was prime minister in 1992-1996. In 2000 prosecutors accused him of approving oil shipments to former Yugoslavia in violation of a UN embargo. The investigation was ended abruptly when his Social Democratic Party returned to government later that year.
Earlier on Friday, the Constitutional Court rejected an appeal by Basescu against the suspension, which parliament approved in a 323-108 vote on Thursday.
The court's decision was largely a formality, as the judges were only required by law to verify whether a majority of lawmakers voted to suspend the president.
In a separate ruling published on Tuesday, the court said there was no evidence to back the opposition's charges that Basescu had violated the Constitution. That ruling, however, was not legally binding.
Opposition lawmakers have accused Basescu of a range of abuses. But the backdrop is a political feud between Basescu and Prime Minister Calin Popescu Tariceanu.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The