Even before it was opened, the oversized letter sent from Cho Seung-hui to NBC News attracted attention. The postal worker who brought it to NBC's Manhattan headquarters on Wednesday pointed out the return address of Blacksburg, Virginia.
Inside was what NBC anchor Brian Williams described as a multimedia manifesto, with video, pictures and writing from the killer of 32 people just before he went on his killing spree at Virginia Tech. Cho mailed it at 9:01am on Monday, between murders.
It was mass murder for the YouTube generation, a chilling document from a man who said little in life but clearly wanted people to know his grievances in death. And it started a frantic day for a news organization that, for the second time in a week, suddenly found itself at the center of the nation's biggest news story.
The package was addressed to 30 Rockefeller Avenue, mistaking the Plaza for a street. Incorrect zip codes were written twice and crossed out -- the failure to settle on the right one delaying the letter's arrival by a day.
NBC security opened the envelope, a policy they have taken with suspicious packages ever since anthrax was delivered to anchor Tom Brokaw shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. They handled it with gloved hands and quickly made copies of what they found.
At noon, NBC News president Steve Capus was called out of a news meeting by security chief Brian Patton and told what had been delivered.
The package contained a DVD and a 23-page printout of a computer file that mixed rambling, profane messages with 29 pictures of the killer. Eleven photos showed him aiming a gun at the camera.
Through NBC's justice department correspondent, Pete Williams, NBC reached out to authorities. A representative of the FBI's New York office came to NBC to get the originals, and NBC was asked not to say anything about it publicly until investigators could examine it, a request Capus thought was appropriate. The first public word of what NBC had was not released until a news conference in Blacksburg around 4:30pm.
"If we wanted to do something competitive, we would have popped it on the air immediately," Capus said.
Authorities still hadn't fully examined Cho's DVD and it wasn't until after 6pm that NBC had an official OK to show some of his filmed message. NBC's Nightly News aired at 6:30pm.
NBC's evening news competitors, ABC's World News and the CBS Evening News, managed to swiftly air portions of what NBC released only minutes after it came on the air.
"They seem to have acted honorably," ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said. "They turned the information over to the authorities swiftly and they reported it out."
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of