Riot police clashed with hundreds of Chinese merchants in Milan on Thursday after scuffles broke out over traffic controls and a parking ticket in the city's busy Chinatown.
About 15 people were injured during the clashes and two cars were destroyed as protesters threw plastic bottles and trash cans at police armed with batons.
It was not clear how many protesters were injured, but TV footage showed several wounded.
A shopkeeper of Chinese origin was loudly protesting a fine of 40 euros (US$54) for parking illegally when a crowd gathered that swelled to around 350, according to the all-news channel Sky TG24.
Waving Chinese flags and placards reading "Stop violence and abuse against the Chinese community," at least 400 merchants and residents later staged a sit-in on the neighborhood's main street, bringing traffic to a standstill.
"You just want to send away the Chinese population," one protester shouted at a police officer. "Where is Italy's humanity?"
Officials said the protest started when traffic police, who want to tighten control of commercial traffic in the area full of clothing wholesalers, fined a driver and took away his license because he was carrying merchant goods in a private car.
"It is not right for a violation of road regulations to cause this," Milan Mayor Letizia Moratti told a news conference. "This cannot be justified."
Protesters complained of police violence on Thursday.
Residents have repeatedly complained about the noise and traffic, urging officials to find a more suitable location for the wholesalers.
China's consul in Mila, Zhang Limin, said the clash was not an isolated event.
"We've been under heavy harassment for two months now. I'm here to defend the interests of Chinese shopkeepers who pay their taxes and follow the law," the ANSA news agency quoted Zhang as saying.
Statistics show 12,000 Chinese nationals reside legally in Milan.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of