A TV drama about the thalidomide scandal which led to thousands of women giving birth to disabled children has prompted a bitter row between the filmmakers and the creators of the drug, 50 years after the anti-morning sickness pill came on to the market.
The two-part drama, produced by the Cologne company Zeitsprung for the channel Westdeutsche Rundfunk (WDR), seeks to dramatize the shocking events surrounding the way the drug came on to the market, and how the victims -- many of whom were born without limbs after their mothers took the drug during pregnancy -- were subsequently treated.
It is loosely based on the true story of a lawyer whose son was born with deformities and who spent more than a decade in the courts, fighting for recognition. Around 10,000 children were born with severe malformations as a result of the drug, half of them in Germany.
This week WDR was given the go-ahead by a Hamburg court to show Contergan -- A Single Tablet, after a lengthy court battle with the drug's maker, Grunenthal GmbH.
Contergan is the name under which the pills were marketed in Germany.
Zeitsprung has been told that the film may be shown only after certain scenes have been cut and a disclaimer added stating that the film is a fictionalisation of the real story. Zeitsprung has provisionally agreed to the changes.
"This is a victory for artistic freedom as well as for the victims of Contergan," said Michael Souvignier, the film's producer.
Grunenthal, based in Aachen, has said it may take the case to the country's highest court, claiming that the film contains gross historical inaccuracies, namely the portrayal of its alleged unwillingness to compensate victims.
"We resent the insinuation in the film that we behaved with infamy and without moral scruples," said Annette Fusenig, head of corporate communications.
She said the company paid 100 million Deutschmarks (US$68.9 million at current exchange rates) into a compensation fund.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of