Two long-term UK residents who have spent the past five years as prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have been officially cleared by a Pentagon tribunal. But they still face indefinite detention because the British government is refusing to arrange their release.
Ahmed Errachidi, 40, a Moroccan chef who worked in some of London's best-known restaurants for almost 18 years, and Ahmed Belbacha, 37, a refugee from Algeria who spent a week at the 1999 Labour Party conference working at the main party hotel, have both been classified as representing no terrorist threat.
In e-mails dated Feb. 22, Lieutenant-Colonel David Cooper, of the Pentagon's Office for the Administrative Review of the Detention of Enemy Combatants, told the prisoners' lawyers in London that Errachidi and Belbacha had both "been approved to leave Guantanamo, after diplomatic arrangements for their departure had been made."
Cooper said that each had been cleared by a panel of military officers whose job was to determine whether a prisoner represented a threat to the US or its allies and whether there were other factors that could form the basis for continued detention, including intelligence value and any law-enforcement interest.
"We're not making any moves with these individuals or the other British residents at Guantanamo. Because they are not British citizens, we're not providing any consular or diplomatic assistance, a British Foreign Office spokesman said.
Asked how he imagined they might be able to leave, he said: "It has got nothing to do with us."
He added that if the government provided any help to Errachidi and Belbacha, this might affect the pending case of six other UK resident foreign detainees, due to be argued soon in the House of Lords.
They are appealing a decision by the High Court, which declined to order the government to take responsibility for them last year.
Zachary Katznelson, senior counsel at Reprieve, the London-based legal campaign group that represents the men, said he was shocked by the Foreign Office's refusal to act.
Reports last year suggested that Britain was refusing to ask the US to release some of the UK residents because the US was insisting on impractical security conditions.
But in these cases, Katznelson said: "it's hard to see that there could be any security considerations at all -- not when the Pentagon has already said they pose no risk."
He added that he had visited both men at Guantanamo recently.
Errachidi, who had been seen as a threat to camp discipline because of his fluent English, has been kept in solitary confinement for three years and now, Katznelson said, has withdrawn to the point where he refuses to speak to anyone.
Belbacha was "increasingly depressed, lonely and despondent. Most of the time we're together I do what I can just to give him hope," Katznelson said.
As with many Guantanamo prisoners, serious allegations made against the two men when they were captured in Pakistan in 2002 have been shown to be false.
Originally, the Pentagon claimed that Errachidi had spent the first half of 2001 training at an Afghan camp and fighting with the Taliban.
Reprieve was able to show that, at the time, he had been cooking at the Westbury Hotel in London and could not have left the country because he had submitted his passport to the Home Office with an application for permanent residence.
Errachidi, who also worked in restaurants, went to Pakistan to set up a business to import silver jewelry, in the hope that its proceeds would pay for a heart operation for his son in Morocco. During this trip he made a short -- and entirely non-military -- visit to Afghanistan.
WIDE REOPENING DISCOURAGED: A study from Peking University has suggested that lifting restrictions in the style of the US, UK and others would be catastrophic China would face a “colossal outbreak” on a scale beyond anything any other country has yet seen if it were to reopen in a similar manner to the US. That is a prediction based on statistical modeling by researchers at Beijing’s Peking University. A switch from China’s current COVID-19 elimination strategy to a US-style approach with few restrictions would lead to as many as 637,155 infections per day, according to the study, which was published by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday. That would be the largest daily figure reported by any country since the start of the
UNCERTAINTY: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken did not specify measures NATO might take, but many believe that the Nord Stream 2 pipeline project could be canceled The US has said it has evidence that Russia has made plans for a “large scale” attack on Ukraine and said NATO allies are “prepared to impose severe costs” on Moscow if it attempts an invasion. Speaking at a NATO ministers meeting in Latvia, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that it was unclear whether Russian President Vladimir Putin had made a decision to invade, but added: “He’s putting in place the capacity to do so in short order, should he so decide.” “So despite uncertainty about intention and timing, we must prepare for all contingencies while working to see to
NOT ELIGIBLE: Most of those charged over democracy protests were born after the UK handed Hong Kong back to China, figures form Hong Kong Watch showed More than 90 percent of people who have faced protest charges in Hong Kong are too young to access a UK visa scheme dedicated to helping Hong Kongers flee to the UK, say advocates and lawmakers calling for new laws to assist them. The release of the figures on Sunday by advocacy group Hong Kong Watch comes before a British parliamentary debate this week on proposed migration law amendments that would widen the pathway for people with British National Overseas (BNO) status to resettle in the UK. More than 10,000 people were arrested during or after the mass protests that swept Hong
An episode of The Simpsons in which the cartoon family from the US visit Tiananmen Square has been removed from Disney’s streaming channel in Hong Kong at a time when authorities are clamping down on dissent. The missing episode adds to concerns that Chinese-style censorship is becoming the norm in the territory, ensnaring global streaming giants and other major tech companies. Disney+ has made rapid advances since it was launched 18 months ago, reaching more than 116 million worldwide subscribers. The Hong Kong version started streaming earlier this month and eagle-eyed customers soon noticed that an episode of The Simpsons featuring China was