New fences and police roadblocks on Tuesday largely prevented scavengers from reaching beached containers that had washed off the deck of a cargo ship stricken during a recent storm.
The day before, thousands of treasure hunters at southwest England's Branscombe beach braved rising tides and gale force winds to pick through the MSC Napoli's waterlogged cargo.
Police called the looting despicable, but acknowledged they had no grounds for arresting the scavengers.
"No matter what people think about it, there have been no public order offenses, and people are going about it in a good-natured way," Devon and Cornwall police spokesman Terry Hodgson said.
Under maritime law, the items recovered must be reported to a British office that handles the return of wreckage from shipping disasters. If not, the scavengers could be charged with theft.
"Frankly, the scenes that I witnessed on the beach late last night were despicable," said Mark Rodaway, the official in charge of keeping track of such wreckage.
"I spoke to a Swedish woman this morning who witnessed, on television, family heirlooms that were cast aside," he said. "There was no intent to store those goods faithfully and there was no intent to return them to their owners."
Police said that some of the items had begun appearing on eBay.
Authorities had no legal grounds for closing the beach until the contractors arrived, British Coastguard and Maritime agency spokesman Peter Conley said. Now that the beach has been declared a work site, scavengers can be arrested for trespassing.
Dutch salvage company Smit, a contractor for the ship's owners, managed to plug a leak in one of the ship's smaller fuel tanks, welding metal plates over a fissure which had released 60 tonnes of engine oil off the coast, 150km of which is designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage site.
None of the slick has reached the shore, although more than 900 seabirds have been coated by oil and will likely die, according to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
Smit has also begun draining the ship of thousands of tonnes of fuel, using specially heated tubes to suck the thick, viscous oil into a nearby tanker. The process is expected to last through the weekend.
Once the fuel is removed, two crane-equipped barges will arrive to pluck the ship's 2,291 containers off the deck one by one, and ferry them toward their final destination.
Underwater recovery will also be undertaken to dredge up containers which had fallen off the ship, said Robin Middleton, Britain's chief maritime salvage official. He said the clean-up process could take as long as a year.
The British cargo ship was deliberately run aground close to the Devonshire resort of Sidmouth, 265km southwest of London, after it was damaged during a storm last Thursday.
Its crew of 26 was rescued, but more than 100 containers were knocked overboard.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses