Sri Lanka must investigate allegations that its military has helped a militia fighting separatist Tamil Tiger rebels to conscript child soldiers, or allow an independent international investigation, a human rights group said yesterday.
New York-based Human Rights Watch said that the government's alleged complicity in the child abductions show its "hypocrisy" in condemning the use of child soldiers by the Tamil Tigers.
"The government must stop making excuses and launch a serious and impartial investigation of government complicity," Brad Adams, the rights group's Asia director, said in a statement.
PHOTO: AP
"If the government won't investigate, then it must allow an independent, international inquiry," he said.
The government reacted sharply, calling the report inaccurate.
"This report is based on various inaccurate information that has been floating in the country in the past months," chief government spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella said.
"What we want from Human Rights Watch is credible evidence, not just a statement. Only then we can take action if needed," he said.
Jo Becker, a child rights advocate for the group, said the government -- which has condemned child recruitment by the Tamil Tigers for years -- "is now complicit in the same crimes."
"The government's collusion on child abductions ... highlights its hypocrisy," Becker said.
In November, Allan Rock, the UN special representative for children and armed conflict on Sri Lanka, alleged that government forces were helping and at times participating in child abductions by the Karuna militia, a splinter group that broke away from the mainstream Tamil Tiger rebels.
The government has flatly denied any military involvement.
The Karuna group, named after its commander, once a regional leader of the Tamil Tigers, split from the mainstream guerrilla group in 2004 with some 6,000 fighters.
The mainstream rebels attacked the renegades and claimed they had crushed the rebellion. However, the splinter group later began attacking the mainstream rebels and is widely believed to be cooperating with government forces.
In a report titled Complicit in Crime: State Collusion in Abductions and Child Recruitment by the Karuna Group, Human Rights Watch said the military had not taken any steps to stop the abductions because it was "eager for an ally against the Tamil Tigers."
Becker said the Karuna group mainly targets poor families for conscription.
"Not only do government forces fail to stop the abductions, but they allow the Karuna group to transport kidnapped children through checkpoints on the way to their camps," Becker said.
Human Rights Watch has also called on the UN to impose "targeted sanctions" on the Tamil Tiger rebels -- who are known to have used child soldiers for years -- because of the group's status as a "repeat offender."
The rebels have fought the government for more than two decades to create a separate homeland.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The