Rescue crews working underground burrowed close to a minibus trapped under tonnes of earth and rubble following the collapse of a subway station construction site, but were forced to retreat because of unstable ground, officials said.
Aided by dogs sniffing for the passengers, rescuers found the vehicle but turn backed late on Sunday because officials feared the ground might again give way, burying them, Sao Paulo State Governor Jose Serra said.
Authorities then decided to take a different approach to the bus, entombed under rubble and dirt after the concrete walls of a huge hole being excavated for the station fell apart on Friday.
Effort were complicated by large chunks of concrete that prevented rescuers from going deeper into the crater where as many as many as seven people are buried, including four in the minibus.
Witnesses reported the minibus was carrying a driver, fare collector and two passengers when it fell into the crater, said a spokesman for Sao Paulo's subway system. Two pedestrians and a truck driver may also be buried.
"We are working under the assumption that there may be at least seven people trapped underneath the rubble," Davanco said.
Authorities said they still hoped to find survivors more than 48 hours after the collapse at the construction site next to one of Sao Paulo's busiest highways.
"It is possible that an air pocket buttressed by a beam or something else may have been created," Colonel Joao dos Santos of Sao Paulo's fire department said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told