Violent crime and social unrest are on the rise in China, the nation's top judge said in state press yesterday, as statistics showed an increase in the number of people convicted of crimes last year.
China's courts convicted over 759,000 suspects in the first 11 months of last year, up 4.3 percent over the same period the previous year, the China Daily reported, citing Supreme Court statistics.
Only 1,464 people tried during the period were found innocent in a total of over 593,000 criminal cases heard, the report said.
Among those convicted, 276,479 were found to have committed serious violent crimes, such as murder, rape, robbery, kidnapping or taking part in gang activities, it said.
"Criminals are becoming more organized, violent and intelligent. And crimes like murder, kidnapping and setting up explosives are all on the rise," Xinhua news agency quoted China's top judge, Xiao Yang (肖揚), as saying.
Xiao further expressed concerns over social unrest and "mass incidents," or violent protests and riots, which numbered 87,000 in 2005, up from 58,000 in 2003, the report said.
Xiao urged courts to place additional attention on "mass incidents" as "it has developed into a prominent problem disturbing social stability," the report said.
Meanwhile, Xiao trumpeted a newly enacted law ensuring the Supreme Court reviews all death sentences, which began on Jan. 1, as an improvement in China's human rights and a guarantee for fair trails.
"Serious crimes deserve serious punishment, no matter when and where," Xiao said.
But "a heavy penalty for petty crime is equally wrong as a petty penalty for heavy crime."
China executes more criminals every year than the rest of the world combined, but the exact number of executions is a closely guarded state secret.
Western jurists have long viewed China's judicial system as "designed for conviction," with guidelines on the "presumption of innocence" rarely implemented.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday