Israel failed to achieve all its objectives in its summer war against Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Israeli army chief admitted on Tuesday, but he rejected calls to resign as a result.
Summing up internal army inquiries into the war, which ended inconclusively in a ceasefire after 34 days of fighting, the army chief of staff, Lieutenant General Dan Halutz, said Israeli forces caused considerable damage to Hezbollah and killed "hundreds of terrorists."
At a briefing for Israeli military correspondents carried by local TV channels, he added: "We were not successful in reducing the short-range rocket fire on Israel's north until the ceasefire."
Hezbollah fired approximately 4,000 rockets at Israel during the fighting. Israel pounded Lebanon with airstrikes at Hezbollah targets and infrastructure and ground forces swept through south Lebanon.
"We attacked the Katyushas [rockets], but unsuccessfully," he said.
"There were cases in which officers did not carry out their assignments and cases in which officers objected on moral grounds to their orders" Halutz said, an apparent reference to resistance against attacking south Lebanese towns and villages.
He said these instances of refusal "ran counter to the army's basic values." He said a senior officer was suspended as a result.
Halutz said it would be a mistake to use the military now to try to free the two Israeli soldiers captured in a cross-border Hezbollah raid, which set off the fighting -- though that was one of the goals stated at the outset of the conflict.
Halutz, who is under pressure to stop down because of the shortcomings of the war, said he decided to stay on and "correct what can be corrected." He said resignation now would be "running away," adding: "I have not heard my superiors calling on me to resign. If they do, I will respond."
He noted conclusions of an inquiry by a former chief of staff that included vague definitions of goals and faulty work in command centers.
Halutz said that reserve soldiers would be called up for longer annual service to undergo better training and said a plan to shorten the length of regular service -- now set at three years -- would be delayed.
A committee appointed by the government is in the midst of its investigation of the war and its outcome.
The internal army inquiries did not call for resignations, but the government committee has the power to do so. Halutz said if that committee called for his resignation, "of course" he would comply. Defense Minister Amir Peretz has made the same pledge.
The conflict ended on Aug. 14 with a UN Security Council resolution that posted a reinforced peacekeeping force in south Lebanon with a mandate to keep the area clear of armed forces.
The fighting left more than 1,000 people dead, UN, Israeli and Lebanese officials said.
Lebanon's Higher Relief Council, a government group, said the majority of those were Lebanese civilians. UNICEF also says most of those killed were civilians and that about a third of them were children.
Of the total deaths, 159 were in Israel, including 39 civilians who were killed in rocket attacks.
Israel claimed 600 Hezbollah fighters were killed but that figure was not substantiated, with the group acknowledging only 250 of its fighters killed.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding