North Korea's nuclear and conventional weapons pose a serious threat to South Korea, Seoul's defense ministry warned yesterday.
The ministry, in a biennial White Paper, said the communist state produced an estimated 30kg of plutonium over the past three years -- enough to make up to five atomic bombs.
The North had also acquired some 200 artillery pieces which could strike Seoul when sited along the border, and about 40 percent of its 820 fighter jets were just north of the frontier -- minutes away from the South's capital.
"Considering the seriousness of threats from the nuclear test and weapons of mass destruction [WMDs] we defined the North's military strength as a serious threat in this year's edition," Major-General Chung Seun-Jo, the ministry's policy planner, told reporters.
The White Paper refused, however, to call the hardline communist state a fully fledged nuclear power, despite its Oct. 9 test which sparked international alarm and UN sanctions.
The government sees the test as a partial success, Chung was quoted by Yonhap news agency as saying.
"We believe [the device] is less powerful than a normal nuclear weapon and little more powerful than a conventional bomb," Chung said.
US intelligence officials at the time estimated the force of the blast at as low as the equivalent of 180 tonnes of TNT, but confirmed it was caused by a nuclear device.
Some 680,000 South Korean troops, backed by 29,500 US soldiers, are confronting the potential threat from the North's 1.1 million-strong military.
"North Korea's conventional military strength, nuclear test, WMDs and deployment of its armaments along the front line are serious threats to our security," the report said.
It said the North "is estimated to have obtained an additional 30kg of plutonium if it reprocessed spent fuel rods in 2003 and 2005 as it had claimed."
The North is also believed to possess up to 14kg of plutonium it obtained in the early 1990s.
Six-nation talks aimed at persuading the north to scrap its nuclear programs ended in apparent stalemate a week ago.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of