Aid has finally reached the most isolated areas of Sumatra island a week after flash floods killed more than 100 people and forced 400,000 to flee, Indonesian officials said yesterday.
Relief workers had faced problems with slow and limited supplies, as well as access difficulties due to the floods and landslides which have destroyed roads and bridges in worst-hit Aceh Province and neighboring North Sumatra.
"Maybe relief distribution has not been perfect but we have managed to reach all previously isolated areas," Aceh provincial spokesman Nurdin Joes said.
The Kompas daily, however, said several villages remained cut off.
"At least 16 villages are still unreachable by water and land vehicles," it said, quoting the disaster mitigation unit in the worst-affected district of Aceh Tamiang.
Tonnes of food, water, tents and medical supplies have been trucked and flown into the main cities and towns in areas hit by the flash floods triggered by torrential rains.
But slow distribution of food sparked anger in Aceh Tamiang on Thursday as around 100 flood victims, most of them mothers carrying their children, looted an aid distribution post in Payabedi.
Joes said helicopter air drops to remote areas had been fairly successful as the weather had been quite good in the past few days, but he remained alert for any possible eventualities.
"In difficult to reach areas, the people deliver aid along a distribution chain, in a relay from district capital all the way to the worst-affected areas," he said.
"We still need instant food, medicine and mosquito nets," he added.
The US said yesterday it would provide US$100,000 in emergency assistance through the Red Cross to supply hygiene kits, plastic sheets, sleeping mats and other items for flood victims.
Some 400,000 people fled the floods, with 365,335 people displaced in Aceh Province alone as whole villages were swallowed. Hundreds of hectares of rice paddy have also been destroyed just ahead of the harvest.
With water levels dropping more than 100,000 people had returned home by Thursday.
But further rainfall upstream has created fresh floods in some areas.
In Kuala Simpang, capital of Aceh Tamiang district, more than 10 houses were swept away yesterday when the Tamiang river rose.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday